Invasion Of The Birds - Bathroom Vent - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Invasion of the Birds - Bathroom Vent

I removed the old attic fan since it has not been used in about 10 years since I got central air. It also sounded like a freight train. I've had it stuffed with insulation and covered with plywood for years to prevent heat loss, so the current living room paint/floor project means its time to seal it up right.

While I was up there I discovered birds have invaded the gable vent and bath fan exhaust. See the attached picture. While I have an extra large hole in the ceiling, it is time to fix it.

I believe the proper way to fix this is to cut a hole in the roof and vent directly up. I don't do roofs, and really don't want to hire someone to do it right now with my other expenses, so I would much rather vent out the gable again.

I know I should use aluminum vent pipe and angle it down towards the outside so any condensation runs out instead of breeding mold. Obviously I need to repair the screen on the gable vent. I also figure I might as well replace the fan as Murphys law says it will fail next week if I don't.

The fan is about four feet from the gable vent, so it is not a very long run.

What is the best screening to use to prevent future critter invasions?

Is it OK to use flexible aluminum duct, or should I go with rigid?

Any fan recommendations? The existing is a Broan Nautilus, about 9x10" light/fan combo. It is 20+ years old. Bathroom is about 9x7'.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Invasion of the Birds - Bathroom Vent-292847_4014146357699_323552009_n.jpg  

Advertisement

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote