Intertherm MGHA 4 Speed Motor Wiring - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Tutor

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via MSN to smileydave Send a message via Yahoo to smileydave
Smile

Intertherm MGHA 4 speed motor wiring

Greeting to all!
I have a mobile home with a gas a/c Intertherm unit down draft design & tried wiring a new 4 speed 1/2 horse motor & housing for a 4 ton system & mine is a 3 ton system & fried it.
It had a 3 speed I installed a year back & it worked fine all through the winter.
The 3 speed finally konked out & burn't out as well.
I might add it has a Hunter nonprogrammable thermostat I wired up myself & works fine.
Probably didn't have it wired properly for summer time but lasted a while duering the summer. Stayed running alot cause if the intense heat we are having.
Wanting to know how to correctly wire another motor I plan on purchasing.
Can't seem to get anyone to come out & wire it for me. Their so busy.
When I first wired it up it started moving real slow & when I went to go out & turn back on the breaker on the outside compressor unit & I came back in & it was burning.
I may still be able to wire it to high speed till I can get someone to come out to wire in the new one once I get it.
The 2 brown wires are already wired to the capacitor which the motor & housing came together with it.
My Stepson is a license HAVAC contractor & he told me I could wire it that way High & low only till he could come & check it out.
My Wife has Fibro & is a diebetic & needs that cool air.
Any help & tips or troubleshooting would be greatful.
Can't send pics as of yet till I can get a new digital camera but will send some soon if needed.
Thank's!
Dave

Advertisement

Last edited by smileydave; 08-18-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added content
smileydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 806

Does it have the wiring diagram on the back of one of the doors? or try find it online. Number of speeds should not matter, cap one unused speed off and follow the wiring diagram. Red is the lowest, black is the highest speed.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Tutor

Smile

Thank's yuri!
The motor has white, black, orange, green & blue wires coming out of it & of course the 2 brown wires going to the capacitor which are already attached to the capacitor with leads.
I noticed something was wrong when I had it wired the first time cause the motor like I had mentioned earlier was moving real slowly so I turned it off & no smoking at that time till I went out to turn the breaker back on outside at the compressor unit.
I hope it didn't burn out the manual switch.
Thats the one I use to turn it on manually.
The inside unit relay box has 2 wires going to the high speed terminal blades. Red & black.
Ther is no wires on the high/med blades.
I just left the orange wire untouched & off to the side insulated.
The wiring diagram is on the motor & not the door.
The wiring is differant on the old 3 speed burnt out motor which is an Emerson as well but it is a 3 speed & not a 4 speed & is a 3 ton motor.
The new burnt out one is for a 4 ton, if it made any differance.
Had to reuse my old cage housing for the new one had a differant design but used the new blade being the same dimensions.
The old 3 speed motor capacitor was bigger than the new 4 speed motor,it had a small one attached.
Don't guess that made any differance.
If I could just get the high to work for the use of the a/c that would be great.
That's of course if I have'nt already fried the motor.
This time I will turn on the outside unit & use the thermostat to turn it back on instead so I can keep a close eye on it.
It's right next to the inside unit.
It is a Coleman gas heater.
No one showed up last night to wire it for me.
2 day's now without a/c & it's hot in here.
Thank's for your needed support.
Dave
Your so kind to help me in my time of need.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
Tutor

Thumbs up

Well yuri!
My stepson finally came through for me & my wife in our time in need.
Brought over a new motor last night but was a 3/4 h/p motor & told me it might have an adverse affect on how it performs being a larger h/p.
May put out more air than need be.
It does make a louder noise than the original one it had in it before but is cooling fine.

I'll know more about how it performs this winter.
We almost couldn't get the cage wheel off from being stuck on the motor shaft.
It was a new wheel & motor but I did fry the motor by him checking the ohms on the windings.

He said I had it wired to direct short & the common white wire was wired incorrectly.
He's going to give me a crash courseon havac wiring.
He didn't charge me a penny for the new motor so I feel alot better from being out $150.00 frying the other new motor I installed earlier myself.
I hope the 3/4 h/p motor will work fine since he told me it will put out more air than need be for my system.
My system came std. with a 1/3 h/p motor.

The problem i've been having for a long while is the filters I get from Walmart are an inch thick & are hard to install on the door that covers the unit & have to press them down to fit around the lip of the door & don''t fit right causing a gap.
I assume the door is where they go & have two large vents & one smll vent at the bottom over the door in 3 places from top to bottom.
They do a good job catching the particles though

Thank's for your support.
Our blessing were answered.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 806

The larger hp may run at the same rpms as the smaller one. Other than being heavier and causing vibration it should work the same. Buy the boy some beer.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

A 3/4 HP in a 1/3 HP application. Won't last long. The motor will over heat.
Call your step son back and ask him to get the proper motor. And put the proper blower wheel back in.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Tutor

Smile

Thank's beenthere & I like your username too.
It is the very same whell as the old one size & demensions, just new.
It does make a louder noise because of more running through it.
I will take in consideration in what you told me about having him get me another correct motor though.
Have Wintertime coming up soon I hope & dont want it going out & freeze to death.

The motor might not be as bad as long as it wired for low speed since the motor is set to start at a lower speed for heat.
He told me he would if need be come out & wire it to a lower speed.
The motor is the same as well in size & diameter & shaft lenth, 5 inch.
I'll mention that to him & see what he say's.

I have been a member of the moblehomerepair.com for 4 years now & they finally told me they were getting tired of me asking them questions about HAVAC problems. I thought that was what they were there for!
To answer questions.
They shy away from answering wiring of a/c heat & home wiring for safety reasons & I can understand that.
They told me I would have to start paying them $20.00 for every troubleshooting problem that needed to be answered & need to read the forums for answers.
I thought that was pretty sorry of them but understood.
I hope this site isn't that way.

I'm well aware of the dangers of electricity.
Got knocked on my butt one time digging under my dads house & hit the live wires coming from the transformer main box outside & it didn't feel that good.
Hit it with a shovel trying to shovel dirt away from some waterlines for a leak I had to repair.
They were right next to it buried a bit & didn't see them.
It knocked right off my feet to the ground.
Don't know how many volts come from those lines but now I have the experiance of staying away from them for good.
Have wired them up before myself though. Wired a complete home for electric from the meter to the house from time to time.
Just a freak accident & could have been a bad one.
Good thing it had a wooden handle.

You guy's are great for giving me those tips & troubleshooting ideas & I thank you for them.
I'll try not to be that way here.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Tutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydave View Post
Thank's beenthere & I like your username too.
It is the very same wheel as the old one, size & demensions, just new.
It does make a louder noise because of more running through it.
I will take in consideration in what you told me about having him get me another correct motor though.
Have Wintertime coming up soon I hope & dont want it going out & freeze to death.

The motor might not be as bad as long as it wired for low speed since the motor is set to start at a lower speed for heat.
He told me he would if need be come out & wire it to a lower speed.
The motor is the same as well in size & diameter & shaft lenth, 5 inch.
I'll mention that to him & see what he say's.

I have been a member of the moblehomerepair.com for 4 years now & they finally told me they were getting tired of me asking them questions about HAVAC problems. I thought that was what they were there for!
To answer questions.
They shy away from answering wiring of a/c heat & home wiring for safety reasons & I can understand that.
They told me I would have to start paying them $20.00 for every troubleshooting problem that needed to be answered & need to read the forums for answers.
I thought that was pretty sorry of them but understood.
I hope this site isn't that way.

I'm well aware of the dangers of electricity.
Got knocked on my butt one time digging under my dads house & hit the live wires coming from the transformer main box outside & it didn't feel that good.
Hit it with a shovel trying to shovel dirt away from some waterlines for a leak I had to repair.
They were right next to it buried a bit & didn't see them.
It knocked right off my feet to the ground.
Don't know how many volts come from those lines but now I have the experiance of staying away from them for good.
Have wired them up before myself though. Wired a complete home for electric from the meter to the house from time to time.
Just a freak accident & could have been a bad one.
Good thing it had a wooden handle.

You guy's are great for giving me those tips & troubleshooting ideas & I thank you for them.
I'll try not to be that way here.
Does anyone know of a distributor that supply windings so I can replace the windings in two of my two burn't out motors?
The motors & armatures are in great shape & one is brand new & the end caps & brgs as well.
One company I did find but they haven't got back with me yet is called "EIS/HOLDON LTD" in China.
They handle all sorts of small & large industrial motors of all types.
I know what your going to say. Why not just toss the motors & get new ones.
Motor's alone are less expensive than purchasing the windings.
Why?
Cause I like tinkering with stuff & I need them for spares in case of another desaster.
Thank's for any ideas!

Last edited by smileydave; 08-23-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: words miss spelled
Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
Tutor

Smile

Appears no one replied to my post but thats ok.
Motor's still sitting in storage collecting dust till I find some winding housings to rebuild them.
Most likely wind up being boat anchors anyway some day.
The Intertherm unit Yuri is still working fine with the 3/4 horse motor but really blows out the air out the four registers in the home.
Just curious how it will perform this winter & blow out slower like it's suppost to when it's in the heat position on the thermostat.

At least I have a good idea how to rewire a new motor now.
Considering on getting a 1/3 horse power motor to work in my 3 ton unit once I get the money to get one so I will be sure it will work like it's suppost to.
Electric bill still up there though but has been somewhat warm here in Okla but cooling off a bit.
If I see the electric bill still staying around the $200.00+ this winter, the motor will come out for sure & get the right one replaced.
Wife about freezes me out of the house anyway but that can't be helped.
I'll see what happens in the future when I do get the correct motor.
Thank's for the replies that were posted anyway.
Just giving a update on my problems.
David

Advertisement