Intertherm Air Handler With Grand Aire Heat Pump - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

intertherm air handler with grand aire heat pump

hi guys, got a question. i have the above unit with heat strips that the blower stops before they go off. when this happens they glow red & the hi limit cuts them off.a minute or so later i hear the sequencer turning off. i have had the hvac repairman out here with not much luck.the first one found a loose wire on the bottom stack of the sequencer, he tightened up the terminal & put it back on & when i shut the t-stat down the blower continued to run until the sequencer shut off the strips.a couple of days later, it started again strips on but no blower.the sequencer had to be replaced because it got wet & shorted out from the evaporator drain being clogged.the terminals got pretty hot.also sometimes the blower will come on on low speed with just the heat strips & run when it is extremly cold, like in the teen's with out the heat pump itself running. is this normal for the strips & blower to run in the extremly cold temps? what could cause the other problem , as it seems my hvac people don't have a clue.i have done given the $100 for 2 service calls with no results. THANKS!

Advertisement

circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

Sounds like you still have a defective sequencer.

Do you have a lock out temp set on either your thermostat, or an outdoor stat.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

THANKS beenthere! don't know about the outdoor stat , where would i find it?sequencer seems ok as all elements are powering up.one wire from the fan comes to the load side on the top stack on the sequencer then goes to a auto/on switch for the fan.one element is also hooked to the same as the fan. no lockout on the indoor one either, just the old type stat with the mercury capsules.as i belive i said in the previous post when the first tech tightened up the terminal on the bottom & i shut down the stat the fan continued to run on low speed until the element shut down, now its not. could the connector have gotten loose again ?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,480

Connector could be loose again.

Outdoor stat is often located near the outdoor unit. but sometimes its on teh North side of the building. You may not have one.

Post pics of the sequencers.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

just an update on my problem.heat & air people couldn't track it down. found that the fan auto/on switch is screwed up.it is in the air handler next to the fan plug on the outside. i bypassed it & now it works fine. ordering a new switch for it. THANKS for the help!