DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

internet controlled thermostats

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  sktn77a 
#1 ·
does honeywell make a internet controlled thermostat?

#4 ·
Not sure how the honeywell system works but internet access for home control systems/security systems is plagued with problems due to changing dynamic IP addresses assigned by most IPs. You may need a DDNS service to account for this. Maybe hvactech126 can comment further on this as he seems familiar with the homeywell systens.

#9 ·
What? DNS for home routers does not change every day, week, month. A service like ATT's UVerse the IP does not change, unless they force it to change. When I had Comcast, the IP for my router only changed once the whole time I had the service for over five years.

Most IP thermostats connect to a Cloud server, so your theory of always changing, makes it sound like it changes on the hour.

#7 ·
#8 ·
What are you talking about! The stat connects through your internet connection to a server online. You login to total connect and you are connected to your thermostat. There is an app for the iphone and android phones you can also use to login and check your stat.

#11 ·
What are you talking about! The stat connects through your internet connection to a server online. You login to total connect and you are connected to your thermostat. There is an app for the iphone and android phones you can also use to login and check your stat.
"The stat connects through your internet connection"

Precisely. If you have an ISP like TWC, ShenTel, etc, your modem (external) IP address is going to change at least weekly (every couple of days at my 2 homes).

But even if it only changed once a month, how would you handle this without a DDNS service (is Total Connect a DDNS service)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.