Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

intermittent ignition problem with American Std 90 propane furnace

3 year old system won't always "stay" ignited; when ignition occurs the last burner doesn't always come on so system shuts down. Have cleaned flame sensor; checked the hoses to pressure sensor and made sure that exhaust pipe was clear. Had tech in and he adjusted the gas pressure which was a couple of W.C. inches low. That appeared to fix problem and had 7 consecutive starts with burner cover on. Next morning had same old problem; however when I "loosen" the burner cover and leave it slightly open the furnace runs fine.

Checked the fires to all four burners (when the last one ignites!) and they appear to be of same volume and magnitude.

Any suggestions to pin down culprit would be appreciated.

JAB

jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #2

try switching the burners around see if the problem follows that burner also while you have it out make sure theres no dust inside or even spiderwebs

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
try switching the burners around see if the problem follows that burner also while you have it out make sure theres no dust inside or even spiderwebs
Yep. That's what I was thinking too. Not to repeat what's already been said.

You may end up buying a new burner to. Usually when they still won't light after cleaning, the junk that's clogging up the cross lighter is so impacted that it can't be removed with out ruining the burner.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Yep. That's what I was thinking too. Not to repeat what's already been said.

You may end up buying a new burner to. Usually when they still won't light after cleaning, the junk that's clogging up the cross lighter is so impacted that it can't be removed with out ruining the burner.
ive sometimes had luck using a razorknife blade suppose a pipecleaner(yea right who has them) might work

just out of curiousity are you guys still workin in the field or retired i ask because of the time your on here late at nite, i know my excuse: i drive a semi now and took off to help my 91 yr old momma out after her pacemaker install (just an 80,000 dollar hardstart) dont kno what im gonna do when i get back on the truck im gonna miss this site ive belonged to a jeep website for almost 3 years and im only up to 600 posts i cant belive how many posts ive had in the like 4 days ive been here
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
ive sometimes had luck using a razorknife blade suppose a pipecleaner(yea right who has them) might work

just out of curiousity are you guys still workin in the field or retired i ask because of the time your on here late at nite, i know my excuse: i drive a semi now and took off to help my 91 yr old momma out after her pacemaker install (just an 80,000 dollar hardstart) dont kno what im gonna do when i get back on the truck im gonna miss this site ive belonged to a jeep website for almost 3 years and im only up to 600 posts i cant belive how many posts ive had in the like 4 days ive been here

Still working. 57. Still got a long way to go to retire. I live in Mi so new work is not coming in at all. Just taking care of my established customers.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #6

By cleaning the burners it looks like my problem with the intermittent turn-off of the system after intial ignition has been fixed. A couple of the burners had a pretty good amount of rust in them!!! This looks like something I might have to do every year!!!

Many thanks for the help!!!!!

Jabass

jabass is offline   Reply With Quote