INTake For HVAC - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

INTake for HVAC

Looking for advice: I have realized in my new home, the intake for the HVAC system is routed to the fireplace. I'm haveing a new fireplace put in and want to remove the bulky duct work on the basement ceiling. Should I just remove the duct work and add a vent the pulls in air from the basement,(since the basement will be finished in 6 months? Or should I have the duct work rerouted to take in air from the the upstairs? Attached is a picture to give a visual of what it currently looks like. INTake for HVAC-remodeling.jpg

Advertisement

bladesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

INTake for HVAC

Not a good idea, Your system will not function correctly. Airflow will suffer. To have a good balanced system a return air path is needed for every room that is supplied with conditioned air. From your pic the return ducting will have to be larger than the supply, the way it is set up now

Advertisement

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

INTake for HVAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesj View Post
Looking for advice: I have realized in my new home, the intake for the HVAC system is routed to the fireplace. I'm haveing a new fireplace put in and want to remove the bulky duct work on the basement ceiling. Should I just remove the duct work and add a vent the pulls in air from the basement,(since the basement will be finished in 6 months? Or should I have the duct work rerouted to take in air from the the upstairs? Attached is a picture to give a visual of what it currently looks like. Attachment 12268
in the basement as u will create a negative pressure in the area of the water heater & furnace and pull products of combustion into the base and distribute them through the house , really a non no!!!!!!!......Jack
psilliman001 is offline   Reply With Quote