Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Insulation under Air Handler

I'm preparing to blow in about 10" of additional insulation in my unconditioned attic. The air handler is suspended about 12" above the attic floor and there is a 4x8 plywood sheet underneath that is clear of any insulation. Is there a reason for this to remain clear or can I go ahead and insulate this? Also, is there a rule about insulation making contact with the furnace gas line?

Thanks,
Alfredo

Zariab0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Do you have air conditioning? I don't see a overflow pan suspended underneath that unit with a secondary drain on it. It is ALWAYS a good idea to have that in case the drain in the airhandler plugs up and overflows so that water does not hit your ceiing and damage it and cave it in. You can also get what is called a wet switch/water bug sensor which can be put in that pan to alarm when water gets in it. Gas lines unless they are one piece or have welded connections are not suposed to be buried in insulation or covered up/hidden according to the gas code in case there is a leak. If concealed then the gas gets trapped/does not rise properly and can build up and explode if it gets ignited. If the insulation ever gets wet and touches the gas line it will rust it/corrode it so no I would not want it touching.

Last edited by yuri; 03-26-2013 at 01:50 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Also hope its just an optical illusion that the flex is just tied into a panned off area of the furnace.