Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Insulation question around fireplace

Hey guys here is what I have going on. I need some help on this asap. I have a split foyer home with the basement that has recently been gutted and framed. I bought a new lennox direct vent gas fireplace for a corner mount. I built a small base for it to sit on. The vent pipe goes out to the side of the house about 4' or so above the fireplace and out the block foundation. I built all the walls first so I have 16" centers behind the fireplace. How do I insulate this area. Can I just use the r13 that I have already purchased and do I put insulation in the cavity where the vent goes to the outside of the house or do I skip that cavity. I am afraid if I do not insulate that it will create a draft come winter time. Thanks

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You can insulate but not where you exit the wall, you should have a fitting that goes through the wall that provides the minimum clearances from combustables. Do NOT encroach on these areas. Your installation manual should explain this clearly.

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

okay sounds good can I install sheetrock up to or near the pipe or should I use a flame retardent type material such as hardibacker since it's a concrete product. I had an old wood fireplace and a regular chimeny that went up and out the side of the house. The installer told me to just get rid of that old triple pipe and he would install all new pipe which he did. The previous box that went though the block foundation was pretty big. This new one is considerbly smaller so he put a piece of tin over the hole then ran the pipe out to the face of the existing chimney. Basically there is a piece of tin between the outside of the house and the inside of the house if I cannot insulate. Won't this cause some draftyness this winter. Hopefully this makes sense
ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

No you can't put anything up against your pipe. Since you have a certified installer he should be able to answer these questions for you.

Last edited by josall; 09-20-2011 at 07:26 AM.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote