Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

Insulation over garage, under master closet

First time home buyer last january, renovating ever since. Latest issue/project: The very large master closet sits over the garage, and gets very cold in winter, warm in summer. Since the bedroom adjoins the closet with no barrier, the bedroom temp does the same, regardless of where the thermostat is set.

I recently opened two panels that access a large amount of dead space on either side of the closet, and found ZERO insulation between the dead space and garage. So probably obvious what I need to do, but am I missing something? Will blowing in insulation be the cure for this?
Thanks-

PDWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Yep, but you may want to have that closed cell icynene stuff blown in. Otherwise you have to install vapor barrier and completely open the wall up. Closed cell needs no vapor barrier and does a perfectly hermetically sealed job if done right.
http://www.icynene.com/

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

So I can't just rent a blower and blow in? I guess that would be far too easy! Or maybe use rolls of insulation, which seem to have vapor barriers attached. Thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Depends how handy you are. You would have to open the wall up, install the insulation, reseal and finish wall and paint it. Lots of work IMO. I would rather work a couple hours overtime and pay someone to shoot the closed cell stuff in. Need to talk to a contractor who knows about it for more info.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #5

I have a similar situation to PD. I have a master closet that sits over the garage, and gets very cold in winter, warm in summer. When I open two access panels there is a large amount of dead space on either side of the closet. This dead space has no insulation. Since I'm able to get to the areas easily through the large access panel, I think this is a job I could do myself. My question is this. Where do I put the insulation? That is, do I put it on the floor of the dead space, the back of the closet walls, the rafters or some combination of the above?

Thanks in advance,

boilermaker
boilermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #6

boilermaker, that is exactly my situation as well. I think yuri misunderstood my explanation, when he said I would have to open the walls of my closet to add insulation. We can access the back of the walls by way of the dead space behind the walls, through the access panels. But do we blow in insulation and cover the ceiling over the garage, or insulate the walls of the closet?

If we insulate the ceiling of the garage, it seems that would be insulating the garage, and not so much the closet, as heat rises. And we don't want to create an insulated dead space, we want an insulated closet. From my research, I believe the main concern is air and draft-proofing, as I do not have a barrier on the walls of the closet.

Did I just answer my own question?

Also, my closet has zero vents, and the bedroom only has one. So routing more hot air from the HVAC seems in order as well. That is a whole 'nother topic.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

The insulation needs a vapor barrier at the closet floor, and the insulation needs to be against that barrier.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote