Insulation For Copper Pipes Exiting Boiler - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 156

Insulation for copper pipes exiting boiler

I have a natural gas heating boiler (Weil-McLain series 8 CGM-5) with black pipes running through the unfinished basement and up to the radiators. But in just the first few feet coming directly off the boiler, both supply and return, are 1-3/8" copper pipes (which then connect to the black pipes). I'm planning on insulating the black pipes with something like Armaflex elastomeric tubes. But the copper pipes run very near the boiler itself, especially the vent pipe coming out of the boiler and the draft hood. My understanding is that to safely insulate those copper pipes near those high temperatures I should use fiberglass, specifically unfaced, sealed with HVAC foil tape. I'd like to use unfaced fiberglass tubes, but I'm having trouble finding where to buy them. I've looked at Home Depot, Lowes, and Grainger, and they only seem to have the faced kind. I'd prefer to buy from a local store (I live in the Washington, DC area), but will order online if I have to. Anyone know who supplies that? And how thick should the insulation be? Thanks.

Advertisement

Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

There's special insulation for high heat applications. Any real plumbing supply or place that sells boilers will have it. It's got a slot in it and it just slips on. It would melt foam insulation.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
I have a natural gas heating boiler (Weil-McLain series 8 CGM-5) with black pipes running through the unfinished basement and up to the radiators. But in just the first few feet coming directly off the boiler, both supply and return, are 1-3/8" copper pipes (which then connect to the black pipes). I'm planning on insulating the black pipes with something like Armaflex elastomeric tubes. But the copper pipes run very near the boiler itself, especially the vent pipe coming out of the boiler and the draft hood. My understanding is that to safely insulate those copper pipes near those high temperatures I should use fiberglass, specifically unfaced, sealed with HVAC foil tape. I'd like to use unfaced fiberglass tubes, but I'm having trouble finding where to buy them. I've looked at Home Depot, Lowes, and Grainger, and they only seem to have the faced kind. I'd prefer to buy from a local store (I live in the Washington, DC area), but will order online if I have to. Anyone know who supplies that? And how thick should the insulation be? Thanks.
to answer your questions, check this link

http://www.famous-supply.com/line-ca..._plumbing.html
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

I remember the house I grew up in.
We had great insulation on our boiler and FHW pipes.
Attached Images

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There's special insulation for high heat applications. Any real plumbing supply or place that sells boilers will have it. It's got a slot in it and it just slips on. It would melt foam insulation.
Just to clarify, you have to purchase a special insulation for your boiler pipes? You can't just use any of the types they list on

http://www.pipewrapinsulation.com

or sell at Depot? I just bought an old house with a boiler heating system that I'm trying to get semi-energy efficient. It's my first boiler heated house, so the whole thing is new to me.
coldupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

lots of homes in the great white north don't have insulated boiler pipes. you will get better bang for your buck adding insulation to the attic and the fed gov't has rebates for that. better door stripping etc is the way to go. insulate the basement walls too. check the fed gov't ecoenergy program.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldupnorth View Post
Just to clarify, you have to purchase a special insulation for your boiler pipes?
Yes. Special meaning designed for the purpose.

Quote:
I just bought an old house with a boiler heating system that I'm trying to get semi-energy efficient. It's my first boiler heated house, so the whole thing is new to me.
Retailers around the country (like HD) will have different inventories. The one near you may have exactly the best and right product. More likely though, you'll need to go to a specialty supplier for that. Find them.

In addition to the insulation products you need now... that specialty supplier should prove to be a reliable source of both information and parts as you need them in the future. Far more reliable than any online vendor will be.

hth

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-07-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
Rav

Rewards Points: 156

Since I'm going with 1" thick wall, faced fiberglass tubes (from Grainger) to insulate the black iron pipe that carry the heating water through my unfinished, unconditioned basement, I will use the same thing, but unfaced, for the copper pipes right at the boiler. If I can't buy unfaced directly (Grainger doesn't seem to have it, but I'm still looking), I'll peel the paper jacket off a tube or two for those small areas of copper tubing.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 256

Do most agree that the pipes leaving your boiler should be insulated? I can't imagine you would lose that much heat, and I have never seen a boiler with pipes insulated (doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, that's why I'm asking)!
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
how

Rewards Points: 620

Yuri's exerience matches mine in choosing to insulate the perimeter walls of the house instead of the the boiler pipes. It allows the radiant heat from all parts of the boiler to be a heat gain for the home instead of a heat loss.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
Do most agree that the pipes leaving your boiler should be insulated?
Generally... I would say yes.

The issue is whether you want to heat the area where the pipes are running before they get to the living space... and/or whether that area (crawl space? basement?) has other provision to be heated like it's own radiator.

Quote:
I can't imagine you would lose that much heat, and I have never seen a boiler with pipes insulated...
I'm sure there are studies on the exact numbers...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

here is a link to what you use.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/OWE...sulation-4LFD1
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 154

You can use the standard tubular foam insulation on boiler pipes. I've had those on mine and they're working great, basement has a noticeable temperature change (cooler), no problems with them melting.

Even with those being pretty cheap, it still cost me about $50 to insulate all my boiler and DHW pipes.

Advertisement

matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper , fiberglass , insulation , pipes , unfaced