Insulation In Basement Ceiling For Soundproofing -- Will Basement Be Too Cold? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Insulation in basement ceiling for soundproofing -- will basement be too cold?

I'm in the middle of a basement remodel where I've taken down some walls to open up the floor plan, and removed all the drywall in the basement ceiling to do some major lighting and electrical changes. I'm considering adding some insulation to the basement ceiling for soundproofing purposes, but I'm worried that the insulation will mean the heat gets trapped in the above floors and the basement ends up freezing in the winter. The basement's exterior walls are insulated and it remains reasonably comfortable in the winter, although probably a few degrees cooler than the 1st and 2nd floor. The intent of the remodel is to have this be another functional living space for my family, so ending up with a basement that's 50 degrees during the winter is a deal breaker.

But I'm also wondering if adding insulation to the ceiling will mean the basement ends up feeling warmer. I mean, if heat rises, and it's currently a reasonable temperature, then will the insulation trap the heat in the basement and thus make it even better? I just don't know which way this would go. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Advertisement

jmai14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Heat doesn't rise, warm air rises. I'd ask this in HVAC to find out if there are enough supply/return HVAC in basement now and after you remodel. http://www.explainthatstuff.com/heatinsulation.html

Gary
PS. while you have the floor open--- air seal all wiring/plumbing holes to stop feeding the attic air; http://www.wag-aic.org/1999/WAG_99_baker.pdf

Advertisement

Last edited by Gary in WA; 11-14-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,138

My basement is probably the warmest area in my house. It is part of my conditioned space and served by the same heating/cooling plant and has plenty of returns. Upper supply and low returns.

In the winter it may be as low as -10F to -20F, but the soil below grade is much warmer and is usually 54F, so heating is not important despite the outdoor swings. In the summer, I make sure the returns are not obstructed, so the cool air influenced by the slab is circulated and fed back in the system.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,630

If your basement is cooler then your first floor. Then heat from it is not rising and warming the first floor. But your first floor is losing heat to your basement. Adding insulation will make your basement cooler. So you need to add supply and return runs to the basement.

Tags
basement ceiling , hvac , insulation basement , remodel , sound proofing