Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

Insulating duct-work

I have a question about insulating the duct-work in my crawl space. I live in central NJ and just had a/c added to our existing forced-hot air heating system.

The company that did the a/c install also recommended that we wrap the duct-work in our crawl space in order to prevent a pontential mold hazard down there from built up condensation. I am behind this 100% and want to get it done.

The dimensions of the crawl are 25 X 34 and it feeds 7 vents in the first floor and 3 vents in the second floor. The down flow furnace is centrally located on the 1st floor.

My question is the quote I received was 1500 to wrap all the ducts in the crawl. I thought this was high, being that the whole a/c install was 3495.

Is this something that a DIY can do? I am relatively handy, but at the same time, with my allergies and having a 9-month at home I do not want to take any chances.

Thanks -- WorkOnIt

WorkOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Ouch!That'll leave a mark

Question

Insulating duct-work

A DIY'er can certainly do it. All you need is someone willing to help. (it will take 2 people) a roll of duct wrap, several rolls of foil tape, (5 or 6) a tape measure, an insulation staple gun, a box of insulation staples, a utility knife, a pair of longnose shears, a LONG sleave shirt and long pants, several disposable filter masks for easier breathing of the insulation particles floating in the air, a 2 gal pale of mastic to seal all the joints, and a couple of days to do the job. Sounds easy? does it not? $1500.00 sound like a pretty good deal to me.

ridgevilleac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #3

Insulating duct-work

lmaooo I would agree with ridgeville. you also have to add the cost of the exterminater to get rid of the pests first.
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

Insulating duct-work

Pretty funny...

So, should I expect you 2 tomorrow morning around 9ish, I like to sleep in a bit on Sundays...

Don't worry it is only suppose to be 97 degrees tomorrow and about 84% humidity. You guys will be fine under there and I will make sure to have plenty of lemonade on hand...
WorkOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #5

Insulating duct-work

lmaooo I dont think you can afford for me to go in a crawl space unless its a new house. I dont like spiders. You can do it yourself. There is a industry method and there is a HO method. Ridgeville gave the industry method. The HO method is just making sure the duct is wrapped with insulation. There is many ways you can do that and by your post, I am confident you can figure out a way. I would suggest at least an R8 rating.

P.S. No I wont be there in the morning.
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Ouch!That'll leave a mark

Insulating duct-work

You did not give your address. I would have been there You can do the job. Just take your time and make sure everything is sealed. The heat is on...... it made 102 today in SC.

ridgevilleac is offline   Reply With Quote