Insulating Duct Board And Fan Timer??? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 176

Insulating Duct Board and Fan Timer???

1) I would like to increase the efficiency of our duckboard (several long runs) and wondered if they could be further insulated? I mean can you add insulated foam board to the sides and top, otherwise some sort of wrap? Our blown insulation covers the bottoms of the ductboard and up the sides partially already.

2) Can anyone recommend a timer, otherwise a tstat, that can run the blower between normal cycles? I would like the fan to run for short periods of time in circulating the air. We have cental a/c btw. What about AirCycler?

Are any of the above economically feasible or truly beneficial? We have house fans but thought it would be nice to recirculate the entire house for short periods with the added benefit of filtering.

Thanks, Ralph

Advertisement

Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

Yes, you can put insulated board on it. I prefer the IAQ stat for what you want.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Just a DIY guy

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
1) I would like to increase the efficiency of our duckboard (several long runs) and wondered if they could be further insulated? I mean can you add insulated foam board to the sides and top, otherwise some sort of wrap? Our blown insulation covers the bottoms of the ductboard and up the sides partially already.

Thanks, Ralph
Have you figured out the R value of your present duct board?

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/Documents/...0F-Jan2011.pdf
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
Have you figured out the R value of your present duct board?

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/Documents/...0F-Jan2011.pdf
No, but I will be in the attic tomorrow sometime so will check then. It won't be too high considering it has been 13 years. I was told several years ago the requirements were going to go up in Alabama and would prefer the higher value myself.

We can get some warm initial airflow in a/c mode so I prefer to increase the duck work R-value. They used approved duct tape and the seams look good but I did notice one starting to peel as they didn't use mastic. I will look to address that before adding additional insulation.

God Bless
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote