Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Insulating Attic Door : Need Some Advice to Get Started

Our 4-year old home has two large crawl spaces. The doors to both of these crawl spaces are standard, hollow-core interior doors. One is full size, and one is cut down a bit. Neither has been insulated in any way, and not surprisingly, both have been a major source of energy loss.

I'm finally ready to undertake the project. Here are my questions:

1. I've read that I should use foam board insulation and attach it to the back of the door. How would I do this with a hollow-core door? Nails or screws wouldn't work, right? Some kind of glue? Also, some pictures I've seen show multiple boards sandwiched together. How do you know when you need more than one board?

2. I'm planning to buy and install weatherstripping along the door jambs. I haven't researched different types of weatherstripping, but I'm thinking this will just be obvious when I go to store. If there are specific things I should consider here, I'd love to hear them.

3. I don't know what to do about the gap on the bottom of the door. The gap is fairly large. I've simple kept draft blockers along the floor and against the door up until this point, but I would like something more permanent and effective. How do I close the gap under the door?

Thanks for any ideas you can provide!
Erin

erclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

hi erin,
my first question is, how does he still have a job? (the inspector) hollow core for a crawl space access????
weird..... can you take a couple pics and post them so we can see better what your problem is?

DM

Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Oh, gosh! So sorry for the confusion!

You'll notice that I correctly called these "attic" doors in the title of the post and then proceeded to refer to them, inappropriately, as "crawl spaces." (To my husband and I, who grew up in old houses with "real" attics, these are merely "crawl spaces"!)

My apologies. The doors I need to insulate are to two second-floor attic spaces (behind knee walls).

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Erin
erclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

ok, NOW i understand.... not enough coffee yet....
i'd go get some 2" sheet foam, cut it to size and use PL construction adhesive to glue it to the door.
you don't specify gap size. 1/2"? 2"? it'll make a difference.

DM