Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

Share |

Insulate furnace heating duct?

Live in Canada.
Furnace locates in an unfinish basement, thinking of insulate the heating duct due to the main duct is fairly long, whole length of the house.
Would i save any heating cost to insulated it?
If yes, what material should i use, of course economical as well?
Thanks in advance.

quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Not popular or ever done where I am. Reason being that most people want some heat in the basement and our utility costs are quite low so it would not pay for itself. Need heat for the water pipes and we always have to have a few vents anyway to accomplish that. The only insulated ductwork is in attic units.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Is your basement ceiling insulated. if not. When you insulate the duct. Your floors on teh first floor will be much colder.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Not popular or ever done where I am. Reason being that most people want some heat in the basement and our utility costs are quite low so it would not pay for itself. Need heat for the water pipes and we always have to have a few vents anyway to accomplish that. The only insulated ductwork is in attic units.
Thanks for the reply.
Basement vents at the far end from the furnace left slightly open to heat the basement, it is reasonable warm down there due to vents open and heat from the furnace.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Is your basement ceiling insulated. if not. When you insulate the duct. Your floors on teh first floor will be much colder.
No, the basement ceiling is not insulate.
The floor where the heating ducts run below is quite warm especially during the morning recovery from the overnight set back. That is the reason why i am thinking of insulate the duct to even out the feel of the floor.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

If you have registers in it. then insulating the duct is fine.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
If you have registers in it. then insulating the duct is fine.
What type of insulation could i use, try to keep the cost down as well due to the length of the main duct ?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
HVAC / Plumbing

Where I'm located . We are required to insulate supply & return either inside or outside. I use foil backed duct insulation

Last edited by kenmac; 10-21-2010 at 03:33 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

I've thought of doing this, but way I see it, the heat that is lost, will technically make it's way up through the floors. your furnace is still outputting the same BTU, and that BTU worth of heat is still staying in conditioned space, it's just being delivered slightly differently. A small percentage might be lost through the basement if not/badly insulated but heat rises, so most will just go straight up from the duct.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
What type of insulation could i use, try to keep the cost down as well due to the length of the main duct ?
No cheap way.

Check into reflectixs. Its easy to use.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I've thought of doing this, but way I see it, the heat that is lost, will technically make it's way up through the floors. your furnace is still outputting the same BTU, and that BTU worth of heat is still staying in conditioned space, it's just being delivered slightly differently. A small percentage might be lost through the basement if not/badly insulated but heat rises, so most will just go straight up from the duct.
Not insulating the duct. Causes the air from the registers in the occupied areas to be cooler. And a cooler air tends to make people feel cold. So they turn the thermostat up higher.

So insulating the duct gives a warmer air temp from the registers. And helps to keep people from raising the temp in the house.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Reason for me to think about insulating the duct is to make the floor temperature more even.
Right now, the floor feel warm where the ducts run underneath when the furnace is running and cold the rest.

Quote:
Not insulating the duct. Causes the air from the registers in the occupied areas to be cooler. And a cooler air tends to make people feel cold. So they turn the thermostat up higher.

So insulating the duct gives a warmer air temp from the registers. And helps to keep people from raising the temp in the house.
Agree 100%