DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing a whole house humidifier

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Red Squirrel 
#1 ·
I'm planning to installed a humidifier on my furnace since this forced hot air system is really dry. However, I have a round duct running up to my cold air return vent, which means I will not be able to mount the unit to it.

This might be a stupid question, but can I extend the rectangular duct at the base of my return with additional duct? I attached a picture for a better idea of what I'm working with.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's an interesting configuration. Cant see why you could not extend it, a bigger duct is better then a smaller one and since it will connect to the same round one but just higher, you're not changing the amount of air coming in.

Just beware of these humidifiers, they become very nasty if not maintained.

This is what mine looked like when I pulled it out:

I just bought this house, so not sure how long it was in there for.

So if you install one just be sure to check it every now and then. Not sure what type of maintenance they require, guessing the plates need to be changed every 6-12 months or what not. Someone with more experience can probably give a better maintenance routine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.