Installing Unit Myself - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing unit myself

I have a 12 year old split system. If I were to upgrade to take advantage of the tax credit, could I do this myself, maybe going with a self contained unit instead of a split system? (Or are these not in favor anymore). I could keep my current unit runnign until the other is installed, putting the other unit on the opposite side of my house. The only think it seems I would need to do is chisel a whole in my crawlspace wall, run return and supply duct, and run the propane line and electric to the new unit. I have already done wiring for a detached garage and it passed inspection. I live out in the country and there are not alot of codes.

Are there places online to purchase that have good units at good prices? I cant get a price locally unless I am a contractor.

Advertisement

stryped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Installing unit myself

If you are determined to do it yourself, and you can purchase it, why not wait until fall to install it. This would allow you to install it with your current duct system.

Recognize, that even with a packaged unit, you might have to drastically alter your duct system, which could negatively affect your system.

Advertisement

veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Installing unit myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
If you are determined to do it yourself, and you can purchase it, why not wait until fall to install it. This would allow you to install it with your current duct system.

Recognize, that even with a packaged unit, you might have to drastically alter your duct system, which could negatively affect your system.
Why would my duct need to be changed?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Installing unit myself

Do your ducts decrease in size as they get further away from the furnace?
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #5

Installing unit myself

No. I have big round ductwork almost exactly in the center of my crawlspace. It is metal covered with insulation. I would guess it is 16 inches diameter. From there go the feeders to each room. These are 6 inch flex duct. At the end of that big run is my living room. It it cooled fine but I have problems keeping it warm on the cold winter nights. My thoughts were if I were to do it, put the unit on the opposite end of the house where mine is now. Then, the living room would be the first unit "fed" if that makes sense. Although the bedromms would be at the end in this configuration so I might have the same problem there.

I just possed a question. I prbably cant do it but it seems the best time to replace one would be before it actually went out.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Installing unit myself

It is better to replace them before they go out.

But most areas have a time of not needing heat or cooling. That is the best time to do it.

Most people would prefer if their bedrooms are cooled and heated properly over the living room.

What size is your current furnace and A/C. may be that your current duct work is undersized. And that is why you have the uneven temps.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #7

Installing unit myself

I am not sure it is a carrier 9200 weathermaker. LP heat. Split system. Guy that installed it 12 years ago said that the amount of air blowing out the vents was correct as to a guage I think. Just said because it was a big open room that was why. My house is only 1300 square feet. Where can I find the tonage on the unit?

Thing is, it cools fine, just have a hard time with heat.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #8

Installing unit myself

Also the thermostat is outside the bedrooms. It is on a wall direct across from the air intake.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 252

Installing unit myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryped View Post
Why would my duct need to be changed?
In your original post, you mentioned installing the unit at the other end of the crawl space. You will be adding extra length to your supply and return system. Depending on the unit and its positioning, you might need some elbows, etc.

If your duct system is already below par, this could make it worse.

Advertisement

veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote