Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing range hood - wall vent

I was trying to install my range hood which goes up to the attic and then turn and vent outside the exterior wall. I had always wonder why the previous remodel with the over range microwave was chosen to recirculate, it was a good thing I decided to take a peek and now I understand, because the wall vent has a fine mesh that is now all corroded and plugged. I tried vacuum and brushing the mesh and it did not work, I need to replace it, I was wondering what kind of vent should I be looking for, do they all have a mesh and would get plugged up again later?

so far this is what I found I am not sure if they have a damper or mesh set up, is that suffucient to stop critters from getting in?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100396978

also I would like to ask how many sheet metal screws to put in per joint, the builder used 2 each, but would 1 be OK? are you required to use screws on every joint?

DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #2

I found a really nice metal, rivetted vent with a weighted damper(bolt and washer through the middle), smooth operating hinge on the door and felt seal. In my climate I want to keep out the critters and the cold. This worked so well I got a second one for the dryer. Both have helpd stop draft in the rooms, they don't rattle in the wind either. Two screws placed opposite when piping should be fine in the pipe but tape your joints and make sure the damper at the unit is intstalled to blow open when running, not blow closed. If required there are pop out type screens at HD. The scrrens build up grease which is why things stick to them so a bit of detergent or degreaser would help when cleaning.
FYI there is a more bulky NUTONE vent with a floating styrofoam ball in it to seal as well. It looked neat but when I held it up to the light I could still see daylight around the ball in the closed position, so I opted for the weighted door on the metal vent.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 54

Code is 3 screws on every joint.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #4

BT Knows best, Sorry, mine was a retro fit. No question the 3rd would prevent sagging open as well.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote