Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing New thermostat need help

Hi,
Am a newbie, trying to install a new thermostat and running in to some issues.
I have a Hunter thermostat at present with 4 wires attached (Y1, W1, G, RH jumpered to RC). System had no issues am now trying to replace it with a Trane Comfort Link thermostat that needs its own power. Connected all the wires as in the manual following the old pattern. The addon was the Power wire that was needed. What i did was use an unsed blue wire which I connected to C on the thermostat and C on the panel on the furnace as to the instructions. C on the furnace had a another wire too bot sure where that goes.
The issue is that after doing this, the fan works, heat works but when cooling as soon as it starts the thermostat goes blank and restarts (only on cooling).
I reveresed everything and connected my old thermostat not using the blue (power wire) and things run fine.
What am I doing wrong as would like to get the new thermostat up and running.

thanks.

effusion_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #2

Y1, W1, G, RH jumpered to RC (Old)

Y1, W1, G, 24RH 24RC (New)

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #3

Sorry did not understand that. Do I still need to provide power by using blue cable and connecting it to c on circuit board n c on thermostat??

Does the rh stays jumpered to rc?

Last edited by effusion_01; 02-27-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by effusion_01 View Post
Sorry did not understand that. Do I still need to provide power by using blue cable and connecting it to c on circuit board n c on thermostat??

Does the rh stays jumpered to rc?
RH and RC are connected internally.

http://www.trane.com/residential/dow...structions.pdf

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

The other wire on the C of the furnace is from the A/C condenser. Its possible the wire connection isn't tight enough at the C terminal. And is causing part of the problem when the A/C tries to run.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

But it runs fine when I connect my old thermostat not using C.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

It definitely trying to run the C from the circuit to the thermostat that is causing an issue, is there any other way to power the thermostat?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Electrician

Double check the t/stat instructions. See if there are jumpers that need to be changed on your new t/stat. From your descriptions, it sounds like you wired it properly. 'C' stands for 'common', ...a grounded terminal for the 24 volt side...a neutral point as an AC circuit has (which it is). The t/stat is nothing more than a switch. If you have the common colors in your t/stat wire of red, white, yellow and green (that are being used), the red is normally used to bring power up to the stat, and white, yellow & green are returns back to the furnace...switch legs. Attaching the blue to the furnace 'C' makes it a grounded conductor (a neutral). When you attach it to the t/stat on it's 'C' terminal, you are now giving it a way to power itself. It is using red as power coming in, and blue as the neutral, to run it's little brain.

Curious that it only blanks out when in cooling mode. If the instructions don't mention that you need to change any jumpers, and state that the jumper between RH & RC needs to remain for your application, I'd suspect a shorted wire in the t/stat cable, or the stat itself is bad out of the box. You can disconnect all the wires at both ends (making note of which goes where) and do a continuity test on all of them. None of them should have continuity between any of them. If that checks out, I'd suspect a bad t/stat, as it works fine in heat mode.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #9

This is the circuit I connected it on, does it look right?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing New thermostat need help-photo-5.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by effusion_01 View Post
This is the circuit I connected it on, does it look right?
Doesn't look right to me: it's all blurry!!!
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

Looks like right board in the furnace. But thats all that can be told by that pic.

Aree you sure you connected it to C, and not G.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Electrician

Can't tell...looks like the yellow could be hooked to Y, which it should be....maybe the green is on C and the lime color might be on G....doesn't look like the blue is hooked to anything...too blurry to tell.

The stat wires need to be attached to the same terminals at the board and the stat. Tell us what you have attached at the board, and we can verify what to hook up at the stat. The other cable in the picture is probably the AC low volt cable. Looks like the Y terminal has the AC cable's white attached to it...which is ok. The AC's red should be hooked to the C (common) term then.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Can't tell...looks like the yellow could be hooked to Y, which it should be....maybe the green is on C and the lime color might be on G....doesn't look like the blue is hooked to anything...too blurry to tell.

The stat wires need to be attached to the same terminals at the board and the stat. Tell us what you have attached at the board, and we can verify what to hook up at the stat. The other cable in the picture is probably the AC low volt cable. Looks like the Y terminal has the AC cable's white attached to it...which is ok. The AC's red should be hooked to the C (common) term then.

Yes, the Yellow is Hooked to Y, Green is on C, lime is on G. The stat wires are the same as the board. The Y terminal has the white attached to it. So as you mentioned should I try moving the red to C also? where do I attach the blue than which is free again.

Also have another issue, put my old thermostat back again, removed blue and now the fan keeps running but colling does not start, even when the thermostat has been put to off and fan to off.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #14

R - Power
C - Comm
Y - cooling
W - Heat
G - Fan

I think green is connected wrong

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #15

Ok got a better picture.

Blue is disconnected now, looking at the present diagram, where would the blue be connected? and also do the rest look ok?
thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing New thermostat need help-photo.jpg