Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing a new Furnace, Shoud I install an A/C Coil Now?

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to read this and help someone else. I am installing a trane xr90 into my attic of my 1200 sq ft home in Southern California. I originally started this project with no intention of adding A/C. But now that I have the furnace ready to run except the duct system I am thinking twice about my decision. Any idea as to what size I would need and what effieciency I should be looking at. My furnace is a 60,000 btu which is a little oversized but the price was right. I was thinking of 2.5 tons but not sure. Typical temps here are around 85 degrees in the summer. Does that sound right for this size of house. And yes I know you can be forsure with out a load loss calc. Also how do I know which coil fits my furnace.

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Installing a new Furnace, Shoud I install an A/C Coil Now?

If you are leaning towards an AC down the road then put in the coil. In almost all installs I put one in just because Al Gore has said we will be having global warming and everyone will need AC in the future.

Since you are doing the work yourself it is not more expensive to do it later but it is sure a lot easier to do it now. Or you could just build your plenum to take an A coil later and then just slide it in when you decide you want it.