Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing new furnace question.

Here is my issue. I have an older but never used furnace I'm putting in my garage. The instructions say I need to put in at least a 16x25 external filter.
If you look at my picture, I can only cut an opening of 15x19. So do I cut out both sides of the furnace and put (2) 14x20s filters in? The white line in the picture represnts a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the cabinet that seperates the blower area and the area of electrical and venting.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing new furnace question.-furnace-1.jpg  

Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

What is the type and model number of the furnace? Electric or gas? Front picture.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #3

Fedders VSA090NH4R Gas
Attached Thumbnails
Installing new furnace question.-front.jpg  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
30 year tech

Well from the looks of it I would build a box to set the furnace on and run the return into the top of the box. Use the bottom of the furnace for your return air. In a garage the blower needs to be 18" abobe the floor anyway per code.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #5

Already have it on a box. Is there any reason I couldn't run 2 filters, 1 on each side? Other than the cost.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
30 year tech

Nope, you can do that.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #7

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

HOW DO YOU FIGURE THAT FURNACE WAS NEVER USED? YOU CAN SEE THE BLACK PIPE AND PRIMER FROM THE PVC WHERE IT WAST CUT OUT FROM IT'S FORMER LOCATION

Dont use that furnace if you value your life.
That may have FEDDERS mane on it but it was made by Consolidated Ind.

There is a court order removing them from service due to many defective parts:

Stefanyshyn v. Consolidated Industries
Tippecanoe County Superior Court
For the State of Indiana
Case No. 79 D 01-9712-CT-59

English | Español
If you own or owned (or have claims regarding) a residential furnace, you could get a payment or other benefits from a class action settlement. A court authorized this website. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

UPDATE: As mentioned on this web site and elsewhere, the potential benefits available under the class action settlement depend, in part, on the availability of funds from the Consolidated bankruptcy estate. On February 6, 2009, the bankruptcy trustee for Consolidated entered into a settlement with Enodis Corporation and related persons and entities for $69.5 million plus interest until such amount is paid in full. To obtain a copy of the notice of motion and opportunity to object to the trustee's motion to approve the Enodis settlement, which could affect your rights, please click here. Timely objections must be received by the bankruptcy court and by counsel by no later than March 5, 2009. If the bankruptcy court approves the Enodis settlement, it is likely that a portion of the proceeds will be available to fund the potential benefits under the class action settlement described on this web site.
A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit regarding furnaces manufactured by Consolidated Industries Corp. ("Consolidated") prior to January 1, 2001. Most, if not all, of the furnaces manufactured by Consolidated contain one or more defective parts, including the burner, heat exchanger, and/or expansion joints.
WARNING THE CONTINUED USE OF FURNACES COVERED BY THIS SETTLEMENT POSES A SERIOUS RISK OF FIRE AND/OR CARBON MONOXIDE LEAKS.
Prior to 2001, Consolidated manufactured furnaces under many different brand/trade names, including: ACPO, Addison, Air Star, Airco, Amana, American Best, American Standard, Arcoaire, Arkla, Armstrong, Bard, Carrier, Century, Climate Control, Comfort Aire, Coleman, Consolidated, Day & Night, Ducane, Duomatic-Olsen, Franklin Electric, Goettl, Goodman, GMC, Hamilton Electric, Heat Controller, Heatmaster, International Comfort Products, Janitrol, Johnstone, Keeprite, Kenmore, Lennox, Liberty, Magic Chef, Northrup, Olsen, Pameco-Aire, Payne, P.F.C., Premier, Sears, Square D, Sunbelt, Sunburst, Sundial, Sun Glow, Trane, Weatherking, York, and possibly others. If you have a furnace with any of these brand names, it might be covered by this settlement. However, many of these companies also manufacture their own line of furnaces, which are not part of this lawsuit and are not covered by this settlement.
If you have any questions about whether your furnace is covered by this settlement, please click here or call 1-888-286-8201. Your legal rights are affected whether you act or do not act.
SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM The only way to get a payment or other benefits. A copy of the claim form can be downloaded here.
EXCLUDE YOURSELF Get no payment or other benefits. This is the only option that allows you to ever be part of any other lawsuit against Consolidated or anyone else about the legal claims in this case. For more information on excluding yourself from the settlement, click here.
OBJECT Write to the Court about why you do not like the settlement. For more information on objecting to the settlement, click here.
GO TO A HEARING Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the settlement. For details on the Fairness Hearing and how to attend, please click here.
DO NOTHING Get no payment or other benefits. Give up rights.

Important Dates

Opt Out Deadline: March 19, 2009 Objection Deadline: March 19, 2009 Fairness Hearing: March 26, 2009 Claim Filing Deadline: August 1, 2009 Rebate Deadline: February 1, 2011

© 2009 Epiq Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by hvaclover; 09-01-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #9

That was me who put on the pvc pipe and black pipe. Ugly yes but it will work. I have a serial # for this furnace 970725077. How do I find out when it was manufactured? I have checked all the labels on the unit.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csacsa View Post
That was me who put on the pvc pipe and black pipe. Ugly yes but it will work. I have a serial # for this furnace 970725077. How do I find out when it was manufactured? I have checked all the labels on the unit.
1997....its a Consolidated. I know their equipment well.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #11

Ok so it's too late for me to file a claim. And oviously you know what your talking about. So I have question for you. This will be in my barn away from any living creatures or other structures This unit will be used on a very limted basis. A few hours on Saturdays and Sundays and not overnight, only when I'm in the barn. What should I be on the look out for?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #12

Ok look , am not going to sugar coat this for you: I said the furnace will kill you. If you insist on not taking the warning I have given you than go pound sand.

I don't know what it takes to convince people like you; when you are told something is dangerous you immediately ask "how can I get around danger".
If it was ok to use I would not tell you it's gonna kill you.
Install the dang thing if you want but I am not going to tell you how to kill your self and I would hope that none of the pros would contribute to your demise by answering any questions either.

I am going to ask the mods to close this thread.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #13

Thread closed pending review

Quote:
WARNING THE CONTINUED USE OF FURNACES COVERED BY THIS SETTLEMENT POSES A SERIOUS RISK OF FIRE
Old 09-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Due to the topic (Dangerous Defective Furnace System Re-use) - This thread is permanently CLOSED.

The Site Moderators refuse to allow any such discussions to take place.
The safety of all members, is a chief concern of this site.

Do not repost any further questions, or discussions, related to this topic on the site.

Thread Closed

Closed Thread