DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Installing a mini split ductless system

11K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  geo fan 
#1 ·
I am thinking of installing a dual-zone ductless mini split system in a three-story town house. I was quoted $3,000 just for installation, around $6,000 together with the hardware, which I cannot afford. I am thinking of running the copper lines and mounting the condenser and evaporators by myself, and then hiring an HVAC contractor to handle only connecting the lines, because I'm afraid to screw something up.

I have never done anything like this, and have a few questions.
1. There will be a few tight spaces, through which I'll need to run the lines. Are the copper tubes flexible enough to just pull through a hole at an angle? Is it better to solder pieces together, perhaps, or do I need to keep the copper tube in one piece?

2. Do I run the lines first, and then insulate them, or insulate them first?

3. What's the best way to insulate the opening in the wall, through which the lines will be entering the house from the outside?

4. Do Fujitsu mini split units have a good reputation?

Many thanks in advance for any info!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Mitsubishi

Is the more trustworthy brand make sure the lines are sized for each of the head units and if the lines are differnt sizes the right ones go to the right place the lines are very flexable and if you have to drill a larger hole to get it through with out brazing(solder is a serious code violation on refrigernt lines)you do the manufacturer uses flare connections and why risk the leak . pitch the lines and run 5/8 vynle tubing with the lines this is your drain and run 12/3 strainded direct burial wire you have to use strainded wire because the equipment cummunicates through the t3 terminal .Insulate both the suction and the liquid line together or seperate you do not have to insulate the drain and i find it easyier to insulate first

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.