Installing HVAC In An Older House. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Installing HVAC in an older house.

So I'm battling with the idea of replacing my current method of cooling with AC. I replaced an old, undersized box evap cooler on my roof with a really nice breezaire cooler with all the bells and whistles. We've had it for two summers now, and although it keeps the house cool I hate the amount of moisture in the air. So my question is this, have any of you installed a complete system from scratch in an existing house and if so, what were the benefits/challenges of doing so? I'm not worried about the monthly electrical expense, as I believe my solar can cover the difference. Do you regret your decision? What was the going rate for a complete install in your area? I'm in western Colorado and was quoted between 9,500 and 20k by 5 different contractors. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

DIbrYan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIbrYan
So I'm battling with the idea of replacing my current method of cooling with AC. I replaced an old, undersized box evap cooler on my roof with a really nice breezaire cooler with all the bells and whistles. We've had it for two summers now, and although it keeps the house cool I hate the amount of moisture in the air. So my question is this, have any of you installed a complete system from scratch in an existing house and if so, what were the benefits/challenges of doing so? I'm not worried about the monthly electrical expense, as I believe my solar can cover the difference. Do you regret your decision? What was the going rate for a complete install in your area? I'm in western Colorado and was quoted between 9,500 and 20k by 5 different contractors. Thanks in advance.
Hey I'm a contractor in northern colorado. And the price really depends on the difficulty of the job. If all 5 were about the same price maybe check with each and see what is going to be involved. Have each one walk you through the job see if walls need to be opened and if so if the repair or a cape deer it included in the job

Advertisement

HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

The higher ones were to run a rigid trunk line and rigid ducts in the crawl space. The less were to either run insulated flex ducts in the attic and an air handler in the attic or garage or a roof unit. I was pretty specific about my needs and asked a ton of questions.
DIbrYan is offline   Reply With Quote