Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

Share |

installing humidifier on comfort maker

I need some guidance on installing a honeywell he265 bypass whole house humidifier on my 12 year old Comfort maker single speed furnace. I tried to find the model number under the cover but was unsuccessful. Its a builder installed 80% efficient I believe (vents up flue/ room air for combustion), and it has a honeywell control board in it I have installed one of these humidifiers in my previous home, but that furnace board had a power supply marked for the humidifier so it was very easy. I have attached a photo of the board and of the wiring diagram. I was hoping someone can point me toward the right direction for how to wire a humidifier up to the board. Where should I connect to draw power and will I need a transformer. The only open plug I see on the board is labeled as "unused." I would really like to avoid using a sail switch.
While on the topic, am I better off going with a bypass, or would a powered unit like the he360 or aprilair 700 be a better option. My house is roughly 2800sq ft.
Thanks !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
installing humidifier on comfort maker-img00086-20120116-1510.jpg   installing humidifier on comfort maker-img00087-20120116-1511.jpg  

Sarge35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

If its an up flow furnace, then you will want to use a by-pass style (aprilaire 600 a or m ) humidifier, mounted to the return side of the furnace. here is what it should look like, this is one I did about a month ago

The humidifier will come with a transformer, that can be powered off the EAC terminals on your main board.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Yes it is an upflow. Im a novice but confident DIY'er, but can you tell me where I would find the EAC terminals on the board? What should I look for to identify them? Will this only come on when heat turns on then?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

I just went and looked, and it where its marked "eac" there is no terminal to plug in to....its just a blank. See photo
Attached Thumbnails
installing humidifier on comfort maker-img00089-20120116-1541.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge35 View Post
Yes it is an up flow. I'm a novice but confident DIY'er, but can you tell me where I would find the EAC terminals on the board? What should I look for to identify them? Will this only come on when heat turns on then?
They should be clearly marked, i could not spot them on your board or schematic eac 1 and eac 2 , 1 being the HOT terminal and 2 being the Neutral. The humidifier will have a humidistat that will bring the humidifier on when the humidity sensed is lower then what the humidistat is set at.
In this picture you can see the humidistat locate about 10 inches above the humidifier

hope this helps
Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge35 View Post
I just went and looked, and it where its marked "eac" there is no terminal to plug in to....its just a blank. See photo
well, in this case you could power the transformer off of the heating motor speed tap and any white neutral , you will need a piggy back spade connector.(radio shack)Been doing this for 30 years with out a single problem..............

Last edited by harleyrider; 01-16-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

and burn up the motor thru back EMF. You have to use an isolating relay or a double pole double throw relay.

Current sensing relay
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Won't hurt the motor. Has been known to take out transformers though.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
how

Hey HVAC5646
back EMF? interesting!
Question?
I thought if he only has a one fan speed hooked up, doesn't have a summer fan/ a,c or any other fan speed line that could be turned on, that there wouldn't be any emf problems for the transformer sharing that one fan motor line?

Last edited by how; 01-16-2012 at 09:23 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Hey HVAC5646
back EMF? interesting!
Question?
I thought if he only has a one fan speed hooked up, doesn't have a summer fan/ a,c or any other fan speed line that could be turned on, that there wouldn't be any emf problems for the transformer?
If it was a shaded pole motor, no problem. On PSC motors, they will have a "back feed" if thats how you want to term it.

Measure the voltage across the run capacitor while the motor is running.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Part of the Clover Leaf

This furnace is ac ready. If you tap the low speed fan and use the same neutral as the blower to power the transformer, you will generate a back feed off the heat speed tap as the unit switches to AC motor speed or the fan is turned to the "on" position. Back EMF can be conducted thru the neutral of the blower also.

The motor can be burnt up by the transformer connected across the motor leads. sometimes the transformer will not burn completely open and a small path stays intact to allow enough current flow to burn out the winding of the tap the trans is connected to. Also in some cases the trans has been known to ground and the tap will conduct to ground and burn up the motor

You know alot of the bigger hvac employers require a candidate for employment to draw the humidifier isolation circuit that takes power from the blower as a prt of the competency exam. I took and passed that part of the test with out difficulty.

Most new furnaces have humid power connection, but there are still several older 80% furnaces that do not. The blower is the best place to power a humidifier from with a current relay or a or an isolating relay.

Last edited by hvac5646; 01-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If it was a shaded pole motor, no problem. On PSC motors, they will have a "back feed" if thats how you want to term it.

Measure the voltage across the run capacitor while the motor is running.
If i might add Been, run any psc motor and measure any unused speed taps to ground and you will get a voltage reading. This is electrical potential just waiting to go some place.

The voltage is generated the rotor turns within the start and run winding, this is just another form of the way electricity is generated.

Last edited by hvac5646; 01-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

The multi speed PSC isn't really multi speed. Its multi HP. All the "speed" taps go to the same winding. Its just they are tapped into it at different places. The load then slows the motor down. The same as a multi voltage transformer. 1 primary winding, but has the multiple voltage taps at different winds in the primary coil.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Part of the Clover Leaf

PSC motors don't have start Winding? Hmmm That sure does not sound like how I learned it in school

Here is why i say this:

PSC Motor

Typical Wiring Diagram for a PSC Motor

Definition and Characteristics

• PSC means Permanent Split Capacitor
  • Run-capacitor permanently connected in series with the start winding
  • Run cap makes the start winding an auxiliary winding once the motor reaches running speed
  • Does not have a start capacitor
  • Because the run capacitor must be designed for continuous use, it cannot provide the starting boost of a starting capacitor
  • Typical starting torques of PSC motors are as low as 30% of rated load, so these motors are not for hard-to-start applications
  • Unlike split-phase motors, PSC motors have low starting currents, usually less than 200% of rated load current, making them excellent for applications with high cycle rates
  • Need no starting mechanism and so can be reversed easily
  • Designs can be easily altered for use with speed controllers
  • Can be designed for optimum efficiency and high power factor at rated load
  • Considered to be the most reliable of the single phase motors, mostly because no starting switch is needed
Applications

• Fans and blowers with low starting torque needs
  • Intermittent cycling uses such as adjusting mechanisms, gate operators and garage door openers
  • Uses which also need instant reversing

Last edited by hvac5646; 01-17-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Where did anyone say they don't have stat windings?