Installing A Hrt - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Installing a hrt

I was thinking of putting in an hrt in the basement. My question is for the bathrooms upstairs can I just have a floor vent for the intake, or do I have to run ducting up through the walls? I can see how it would make more sense in the ceiling but that's a lot more work

Advertisement

listo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

Installing a hrt

I assume it is a HRV heat recovery ventilator. I have one and it will work MUCH better with the intake higher up in the wall. Steam, stink, hot air rises and gets trapped at the ceiling and a HRV won't have enough suction to pull it out quickly. I have a 155 cfm Lifebreath with 3 high intakes/3 rooms and it still takes about 20 minutes to clear out after a shower. 155/3 = 50 cfm per intake which is enough but not a lot. You don't want to oversize it either or it will be unbalanced and freezeup etc. With floor intakes it may take a LOT longer. Ceiling bathroom fans are noisy, NRG inefficient but work faster because everything rises up quicker thru them. HRVs are not meant to be fast exhaust fans but ventilators which work over a longer slower period of time.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Installing a hrt

Ya sorry I did mean an hrv, that's pretty much what I figured but thought I'd make sure, guess I'll do it the right way, how do you turn it on? Can you have multiple timer switches in each room?
listo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

Installing a hrt

Depends on the brand but I imagine most of them work they same. There are HUGE differences in quality amongst brands and LIfebreath is the best IMO. The el cheapos have plastic parts and cheap cores . The 2nd tier higher level of VanEE/Venmar units are good, builders grade is just that. Both Lifebreath and VanEE/Venmar you can have multiple 20/40/60 timers in each room which is what I have.

Last edited by yuri; 04-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote