Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Share |

installing dampers

For summer I want to close off the vents in the basement so the a/c is cooling off the upstairs, the basement is cool enough.

I talked to my installer who installed the furnace and a/c unit and they suggested getting circular register ends that you can turn to close off ( I have duct work in the ceiling downstairs)...

I've also seen people mention that I should get an inline damper and clsoe it off as close as I can to the furnace itself.

I dont know which way to go, the furnace company said that either way is good, just as long as you dont cut off too much airflow...not too sure what that means...

any help is good!

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

installing dampers

my understanding is to place dampers as close to the main supply duct as is possible.

I have to add that you want to be sure that by closing off air flow, you do not exceed the units maximum static air pressure. The easy way to be sure is to install a cheap manometer on the unit. you can then close the dampers as needed and be sure you are not hurting your unit.

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

installing dampers

Bobinphx is correct.

The only thing that I would caution you for is that whenever you damper your ductwork you can cause balance problems. Balance problems stem from a great many factors (improper duct sizing, improper dampering/vent size), most of these problems show up as the temperature being uneven within the home. For example: The master bedroom is freezing cold while the second bedroom is uncomfortably warm. Installing dampers is a good way to adjust the airflow, however your heating and cooling needs might be different. The easiest way to set this up is to mark the damper position for each duct for the cooling position and for the heating position. Keeping in mind what Bob said about the max static pressure etc.

I would suggest that you can certainly install the dampers yourself, but that you have your heating/cooling contractor come in and balance the system for you.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Special User

installing dampers

It's better to install an inline damper close to the main trunk if your ducts are imperfectly sealed. When you close off the registers, the ducts are still pressurized and will bleed a bit of air.

But if everything is sealed up tight with mastic and/or foil tape (NOT duct tape!), there's not much difference.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

installing dampers

thanks for the advice, I'm gonna just close off a few ducts...I looked up the manometer and dont know how to really hook it up...
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

installing dampers

one tube on the return side and one on the supply side, both about three feet away from the fan. then read the gauge and then read your air handler tag.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

installing dampers

search this on ebay Dwyer Instruments Series 2000 Magnehelic® Differential Pressure Gage 2002