Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Share |

Installing branch duct damper

I may have to install a few dampers to balance our system. The branches are currently heavily insulated and all joints are sealed with mastic. Otherwise I would take a better picture!

If I can't separate the fittings at the take-off, would I need to destroy, say and elbow, and then add a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Installing branch duct damper-hvac-009.jpg  

lakeresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #2

that box connects to a ceiling register how about removing the register reach in a pop a damper in the drill holes top and bottom in the round duct pinch it in...then add the turning arm and wing nut...check these out http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircondi...-jiffy_dampers or take the top off that supply box in the attic and do it from there...

Last edited by biggles; 11-19-2011 at 04:23 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

I am told that it would be best from noise viewpoint to put damper at main trunk.

If I want to restrict flow at end, I could put old registers back in that have dampers. Or (I have never seen one of these) install these in the boot where duct enters?

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

any thing near the ceiling register is going to give you noise as with that LOWES item or my idea to go in from the register...how about opening the take off just off the supply trunk before the round duct connects and slipping it in there reaching into the round
Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
any thing near the ceiling register is going to give you noise as with that LOWES item or my idea to go in from the register...how about opening the take off just off the supply trunk before the round duct connects and slipping it in there reaching into the round
Opening the take off? Not sure how. But had thought of cutting an opening in main duct and installing through there. I notice that dampers at box stores need just the one hole. Hard to see how they would be stable, but that would make installation and sealing easier.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

i would disconnect it right at that first round piece off the take off and install it there that looks like tape sealed.the other thing is nothing is going to move so you might have to cut it away to get the damper in.no pivot pin on the botm isn't that big od a deal your no stopping major air just looking to devert it....if i used them in a commercial rooftop they would flap from the discharge air....