Installing 24 Volt Transformer In Junction Box With Face Plate - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing 24 volt transformer in junction box with face plate

Hello, Ok, 3 part question, hears were I want to be, I want my 24 volt transformer for the thermostat to be able to be mounted in a junction box not far from the thermostat. Can I put it inside a box and cover it up with a face plate?

Second Part, I had 3 switches close by the thermostat, the thermostat was an old 2 wire mercury kind, I am installing a new wifi thermostat, needing 24 volts, Get a transformer, ya I know the transformer should be mounted some were at the heater, BUT i have 3 thermostats 2 up stairs 1 down stairs. the 2 upstairs I got away with bringing in 24 volts from the ac units transformer in the attic(loft). The downstairs thermostat is far away from the heater in the garage, no way to fish 5 wire from garage to thermostat, So I thought, well why not just take power from these switches fro the thermostat and hide it in a box next to the switches...Can I do this????

Next problem, were I got the power, ok, there were 3 switches, 1-controls the light 1 . 2- controls light 2( also has another switch controlling same light by other door) switch 3, controlled the power for the top half of the outlets in the room, So, my wife hates that switch for the outlets , so i decide, get rid of that switch, use the power for the outlets to power the transformer, stuff it in the wall and bam, done....Ok, so dual box for 2 switches i need, another dual box for transformer.... heres the part i need to know if this is safe, I can only make the outlets work, and the transformer work, by tieing the 2 wires(black and white) together( this makes total sense , as the switch would be on, and the outlets would work. ) and connecting the transformer , one side to the 2 wires(3 wires in all in 1 wire nut) and the other side of the transformer to the ground. I meter across all 3 wires and only can get 120 volts from one hot and ground or the other hot and ground. is this safe? or what can i do??? please help!!!

Oh, and , side note. I know ground and nuetral are tied together at the circuit breaker box, but in the switches box, i get 120 across one side of the switch and ground and the other side of the switch and ground. is this right?

Advertisement

Last edited by noall666; 11-25-2013 at 08:17 AM.
noall666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Installing 24 volt transformer in junction box with face plate

The transformer will probably get to hot enclosed in a small box like that.

Advertisement

Tags
24 volt transformer