Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

Installed open-cell insulation in attic - no energy saving

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'd like to first say hello to everyone!

I live in NE Florida and few months ago I had a contractor blow open-cell insulation to sealattic in my 9-years old, 1,450sf house. Construction is 2x4 frame. Right from the start I could feel that house is cooling easier, there was definitely less dust on the floors and temp in the attic on hottest day so far was just over 106 degrees whereas before it was easily 140+ degrees. I was expecting my energy bill to go down some. However, the thing I'm noticing now is that air coming out of ducts is definitely colder, due to lower temp in the attic and one would expect that house will cool down faster but that doesn't seams to be the case. My thermostat during day is set to 79-80 and over night to 77-78. I noticed that once AC kicks in it's on for quite some time and we feel unconfortable because how cold is the air now coming out of ducts and can hardly wait for thermostat to switch AC off. Then, pretty soon, AC will kick again and the story continues... Is there something wrong with the thermostat? Should I get a new, programable one? The system is Carrier and thermostat is Honeywell.

Thank in advance for any input you can give me.

mvelimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #2

Installed open-cell insulation in attic - no energy saving

First of all, determine where your problem is. Check the difference between your return air and supply air temperatures after about 15 minutes of operation. The difference should be anywhere from 17 to 25 degrees approximately. Second, what is your supply air temperauture? Generally, you are looking at 55 to 60 degrees if the with a return air temp of 75 - 80 degrees. Does your entire house feel warm or is it just where the tstat is? If your setpoint on your tstat is below the temperature at the thermostat, then you can pretty much rule out the stat unless the unit just shuts off. If so, lowering the setpoint or relocating the stat might be your answer. Also make sure your air filters and blower wheel are clean and the fan belt ( if you have a belt driven fan) is aligned and tightened up. Tstat make does not really matter. Also check and verify the size of your ac system give us the make and model of the ac unit and blower assembly if ya keep having problems. Hope this helps a bit.

statman is offline   Reply With Quote