DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Inside Unit Runs, Outside Unit Runs (with help) no cold air

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  beakon20 
#1 ·
Okay, last night noticed the inside air handler was running but the outside unit was not except for a hum coming from the unit and the top was hot. Turned the entire system off so it could cool off, I wasn't sure what the problem was.
This morning, turned the system on and the same issue. I gave the blades a tap on the outside unit a tap and they started turning. However, even after the unit has been running for about an hour there is still not cool air coming through the vents inside.
Intially I thought it was the motor or cap, which it still may be. However, now it seems like there is something else wrong also. Should I hear the compressor running if the motor is not running the fan still?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

#2 ·
Additional Info

Another item I forgot to mention is when I get the fan started, it doesn't seem to run as fast as it normally would. Could this affect the performance of the unit also?

Up until yesterday the unit worked very well and the inside air coming from the unit was cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.