Insect/ Debris Filter For Air Inlet - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Insect/ debris filter for air inlet

I have a Bryant Plus90 gas furnace with funnel shaped air inlet/ exhaust port on the outside of my house. It is constantly picking up wind blown leaves, etc. and sucking it into the furnace shutting it down. Is their a filter I can us outside to stop the debris?

Advertisement

Last edited by Ernest1; 02-05-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Needs more information
Ernest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

No. Any extra filter/resistance on that pipe will trip the pressure switches for the burner.

Advertisement

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
No. Any extra filter/resistance on that pipe will trip the pressure switches for the burner.
What??
Really! I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about intalling some mosquita netting or something around it to keep the bumble bees out.
Key1
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

The mosquita netting may add enough extra resistance to cause a problem. Will definitely get hoar frost on it where I am and plug up. Some units are more finicky/sensitive than others. If it is already close to the maximum allowable feet of venting the extra resistance may push it over the edge. The Carrier/Payne/Bryants also have an extra screen setup in the intake pipe close to the burner box inlet. There have been cases where minimal air to the burner results in less oxygen and the burner runs hotter and can cause rollout switches to trip for no reason. Combustion air IS NOT something to block or fool around with.

Last edited by yuri; 02-05-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
The mosquita netting may add enough extra resistance to cause a problem. Will definitely get hoar frost on it where I am and plug up. Some units are more finicky/sensitive than others. If it is already close to the maximum allowable feet of venting the extra resistance may push it over the edge. The Carrier/Payne/Bryants also have an extra screen setup in the intake pipe close to the burner box inlet. There have been cases where minimal air to the burner results in less oxygen and the burner runs hotter and can cause rollout switches to trip for no reason. Combustion air IS NOT something to block or fool around with.
Good advice,
Thanks

Now that you mention it, I believe my Trane unit has the extra screen set up at the intake pipe where the PVC enters the furnace.....but it is sealed with silicone so it's not easy to check for blockage on a regular basis.

Key1
Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I had the same problem on my Trane XE90 furnace. I got some of that aluminum gutter guard material from HD and cut a couple of pieces to cover the intake and exhaust pipes for the furnace. The type I got has holes small enough to prevent bees and debris from entering but large enough not to cause any back pressure problems. Been on for years now and no problems. Keeps leaves and debris from getting into the intake and keeps critters out as well. My furnace pipes are 3 inches in diameter and only run about 12 feet to the outside. Never had any problems since installing the screens. Hope this helps.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

3" pipes are the best. 2" pipes are much more likely to have restriction issues.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb3ca View Post
I had the same problem on my Trane XE90 furnace. I got some of that aluminum gutter guard material from HD and cut a couple of pieces to cover the intake and exhaust pipes for the furnace. The type I got has holes small enough to prevent bees and debris from entering but large enough not to cause any back pressure problems. Been on for years now and no problems. Keeps leaves and debris from getting into the intake and keeps critters out as well. My furnace pipes are 3 inches in diameter and only run about 12 feet to the outside. Never had any problems since installing the screens. Hope this helps.
Thanks.
I also have 3" pipes but they run 30 feet to the far outside wall.
Key1
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Yuri and the others thank you for the response. I'm sure a regular window screen would not allow enough air into my furnace. My piping size is 3" like most. Yesterday I picked up a roll of 1/4" square hardware cloth. I'm going to fashion a shield around the inlet to see if this will work. I currently have a 1/2" square hardware cloth for a filter but the holes are too large and allow small leaves, etc. through. I hope this will work. I'll try and add a picture of the fix here if I can figure out how to down load it.

Advertisement

Ernest1 is offline   Reply With Quote