Input Concerning My HVAC Situation - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 158
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

Input concerning my HVAC situation

A few weeks ago noticed very little airflow from register's, what was blowing out was semi cold, contractor came out looked around, found the coil in the handler up in attic were the culprit, did a thorough cleaning, paid him and he left, I called them back 2 day's later because I saw no difference, different tech came out looked around for about 10 minutes and said, the problem is that the two unit's are not compatible, tonnage wise, and coolant type.In the dark concerning my home central system
And said replacement is only option. My first thought was " why did I just pay 220 for the coil cleaning", then why has it worked ok since it was installed 3 year's ago? Any thought's?
But I guess that's spilled milk now,, Is this kinda replacement common practice? If it isnt, who is accoutable? home warrantie people or install people? And should the warranty and or purchase paper work been provided to me or how does that work?
And lastly any suggestion's on what to do? I know it I appoligize it this sounds like a rant, just frustrated

Advertisement

Last edited by jpc; 06-26-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: To explain the link in the post is to give the details from another thread of my Hvac system
jpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Supplier

Rewards Points: 10

So you replaced the condenser 3 years ago but kept the old evaporator coil and it worked OK for 3 years?

Advertisement

gsistore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
jpc
jc

No im sorry, the insurance replaced the evap coil three years ago with a 1.5 ton unit, but the original 2.5 ton unit outside was not damaged so was not replaced
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

was the supply fan running HI speed in the cooling mode did he check the squirrel cage within the air handler to see if the fins are clean..do you do the filters on it every summer...general dust is ok... are the supply ducts flex and not leaking...did he take a temp split on the air handler...did you notice it getting worst before the call
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Your home warranty company would have been who bought the air handler.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
jpc
jc

Biggles1) First tech- I dont know if he ran the Fan on hi, or if he looked at or cleaned the squirel cage, but after checking the system he found evap coil coverd with debris, cleaned with cleaner and blew out drain,and according to his ticket he "checked operating pressures and temps and found to be good", he didnt list them though. He was onsite one hour and a half
(2) 2nd tech- looked at unit outside, then went up to the attic and was up there maybe 5-10 mintues. Came down and said there was nothing he could do and that we needed a new system. In and out in no more than 20 minutes.
I have 2 return grill's, main one is downstairs, and a small one upstairs that I change the filter's on every three month's that suggested on their packaging. Over the last 3 year's ive been doing alot of remodeling and repair work so I probibly should have changed them out more than that in hindsight, the supply and return are all flex ducting. No leak's on return side, on supply side I had a bunch of leaks around most of the connection's,Last winter I pulled loose and redid the connection's to all but one, I havent attempted that one because of it's location but I can see it's leaking but its been that way for atleast a year and a half.
Not sure if he took a temp split at handler, I would say it got any worse before I called him, about 3 weeks ago I noticed the weak airflow, and that it wasnt cooling the house. And ran that way consistently until we called the tech in.
BEENTHERE: Would the home warranty company be who I would get the documentation on the unit from? Shouldnt they have replaced it with a compatible unit? Do I have any recourse here?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

The home warranty company will say they sent the size that they were told, by the tech that was on site the day it was condemned. The tech will say that isn't the size he told them.

Contact the warranty company anyway. After they give you the run around. Contact your Attorney General. He may be able to get things going for you.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
jpc
jc

Thanks Beenthere, what are my option's as there are now? Replace attic unit with one with the right spec's?, since the original setup may have been sized right for the house. A whole new system,(wouldnt that me nice). I know a whole sys would be out of the question for the time being, Im living paycheck to paycheck as it is, hell I dont even know what kinda number were talking about, could anybody shoot me a round about number on a new handler, and or new system similar to what I have, I dont want to violate the price and cost rule's, just looking to see what time zone im. MOD's I apoligize in advance if that was crossing the line. Thanks ya'll
Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Supplier

Yes you can either go after the home warranty company or replace the unit on your own. It is really not fair for you to pay for other people's fault but it may be an effort and time consuming process. A basic Trane 2.5 Ton system in our area runs about $1600-$1700 (condenser+furance+coil) but it may vary in your area also labor and material charge can add a lot to that. Good luck and hope the home warranty company will take responsibility and replace it for you right away.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
jpc
jc

Hey GSISTORE: is that ballpark price the whole system, or just what I would need to make what I have work? Im not sure what I imagined it too be but I was thinking 6-7 thousand basic of nothing I know,lol 1500 -upto maybe 2500 would be more realistly in my budget in the near future, that's a little stress off. I agree about it being dragged around for along time, and im not sure I have that kinda patience, with work and my family, not to mention the lawyer I couldnt afford, lol , I was just curious who the blame would land on if it were persued, anyhow thanks . Just not sure about the near future and house temperature?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

did you run the unit when you were sandy sheet rock and construction dust...how would you feel if a doctor looked at you for 20 minutes,and said sorry you've got cancer and be dead by the end of the month....might try a second opinion
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Supplier

That ballpark figure is for a whole system (a low end Trane model) which includes a condenser , a gas furnace and an evaporator coil in our area. Again price will vary a lot depending on location, brand and model but any local contractor can give you the real cost on everything includes labor. Getting a quote from them is more accurate and it is free.
The Following User Says Thank You to gsistore For This Useful Post:
jpc (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Thanks Beenthere, what are my option's as there are now? Replace attic unit with one with the right spec's?, since the original setup may have been sized right for the house. A whole new system,(wouldnt that me nice). I know a whole sys would be out of the question for the time being, Im living paycheck to paycheck as it is, hell I dont even know what kinda number were talking about, could anybody shoot me a round about number on a new handler, and or new system similar to what I have, I dont want to violate the price and cost rule's, just looking to see what time zone im. MOD's I apoligize in advance if that was crossing the line. Thanks ya'll
Yep, replace air handler with correct size one.
jpc (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
jpc
jc

Biggle's : unfortunatly I did run the unit during all that, but sealed over the supply registers and sealed the door shut with some poly and duct from the floor all the way around, opened both windows with a fan in one, but even with doing all that, I know it made it out of that room because I would have to take down my filter's and blow them down with compressor every once in a while, so I know I didnt help that situation. A second opinion for sure before I jump on any money spending venture's, just didnt understand how it went from " Thouroughy cleaning my evap coil of all the debris and restriction is the problem" and 220$ too... "The units are incompatible and unfixable".
Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #15
jpc
jc

today came home to just ambient temp air blowing out of register's, I went outside to luck out there, unit was running, checked the two line's running out of house into unit and the normally cold one was close to ambient temp, and the normally hot line was only a bit warmer than the other and the unit was making a noise that Ive never heard from it before so I went inside to turn off

Advertisement