Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Inline Fan - Bathroom

Hi All,

I have two bathrooms on the main level, both of which currently have their respective exhaust fans vented into the attic. I need to get these exhaust fans venting outside, but I have a few questions.

First, with two small bathrooms (<75 sq ft. each) is an inline exhaust fan system the way to go? I have done a little reading on these and it seems that both bathrooms could exhaust out the same vent cap. Is this correct? Or, would you recommend the fans stay separate, having their own exhaust fans and vent caps?

Second, what trade do I need to call to get this type of work done? Do I need multiple trades? That is, do I need a roofing company to install the vent cap and an electrician to install the fan system? If so, who installs the insulated ductwork? HVAC, electrician, roofers, someone else? At a local home show I asked several companies (e.g., bathroom remodelers, HVAC) if they do this type of work, and they all clearly stated “no.” However, they couldn’t even recommend me to anyone who does this type of work. It is getting frustrating.

Any insight you all might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Walt

walters_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

Inline Fan - Bathroom

First off - any reason you are not considering this project yourself? Any general contractor/handyman should be able to handle this project.

The problem with having one inline fan is that you are pulling conditioned air (heated/cooled)out of both bathrooms every time you run the fan. I'd probably keep them, separate. You may be able to get away with two fans going into a wye fitting and exiting out one (larger) hole instead of two smaller ones.

Can you not go out the gable end of the house? Much less prone to leaks than the roof.

If you plan to get new fans, get panasonic for sure, nothing beats their performance and volume (or lack thereof).

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secutanudu For This Useful Post:
walters_12 (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

Inline Fan - Bathroom

I stared a thread a few days ago on the same issue; Inline exhaust design ideas with dampers (pics).

If you have access to the attic and are comfortable doing it yourself then it will be a fairly easy project to handle.
An experienced handy-person can also do this project for you.

You can choose to do an inline, or individual fans with dampers, venting out through one vent in the roof or the gable end. Back-draft dampers are important so that you don't vent one bathroom into the other.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to picflight For This Useful Post:
walters_12 (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Inline Fan - Bathroom

Thanks for the informative replies.

I have no experience with any of this, so I am not comfortable cutting holes in my roof, or anything where leaks/moisture can wreak havoc.

The tough part now is going to be finding a qualified handyman...

Thanks again!
Walt
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Inline Fan - Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by walters_12 View Post
I am not comfortable cutting holes in my roof

Again, is there a reason you can't go out the wall?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #6

Inline Fan - Bathroom

None that I can think of other than the exhaust duct would have to run 30 feet or so to get to the gabled side of the house.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Inline Fan - Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by walters_12 View Post
None that I can think of other than the exhaust duct would have to run 30 feet or so to get to the gabled side of the house.
If it were my house...I'd get a more powerful fan and run 30 feet rather than go out the roof, though I am sure others may disagree

Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #8

Inline Fan - Bathroom

This is definitely something I'll discuss with the person I get to do the work. Again, thanks for the quality info!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Just call me Andrew

Inline Fan - Bathroom

If the run is straight, it shouldn't decrease the functionality of the fan by that much.

And like I said before...do yourself a favor and get a panasonic. Their performance is unreal, and they are so quiet.
http://www.wamhomecenter.com/product...idCategory=600

Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Inline Fan - Bathroom

First Pannasonic is an excelloent fan,but there are others.
Running two fans into one run is doable but complicated and expensive.Put the extra money into decent fans.
Normally I would say you need an 80 cfm fan for a short run,but 30 feet is not short so go with 100 cfm fans.
Whatever brand you get make sure it is energy star rated as they only cost about 1/3 to operate.
Good luck
Oh and I hate flex duct,it robs too much air flow.
Any plumber or HVAC guy can do a great job.
And I would add that you never ever use those guys that told you they can't do it.
If they can't do simple things why would anyone think they could do more difficult work and do a good job?

Last edited by REP; 09-13-2011 at 02:38 PM.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote