Infloor Radiant Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Infloor Radiant Heat

We have a one level bungalow with no basement heated by infloor radiant heat. The heavy duty hot water tank is run by natural gas. There is a large white thermostat attached to the infloor heating components and from my understanding from the previous owner is set to stay at 110 degrees. When taking a shower this am i noticed that the water is not as hot as normal (not cold , so after checking the thermostat it shows 80 degrees. Not sure where to start with trouble shooting, is it the hot water tank; just the thermostat of something else. Our infloor heat is working and we have hot water. Not sure if this is normal from time to time of a sign that the heating element in the hot water tan is going. The hot water tank is a rental so that would be easy to get done, do I need to call a heating contractor regards to this or call the company that rents us the hot water tank. Sorry about the long post but more info i give is better for me not being the best handyman on the block.

Thanks Paul
Merry Christmas

Advertisement

Last edited by 06Honda; 12-25-2011 at 10:00 AM.
06Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Infloor Radiant Heat

Post a picture of the rest of the boiler controls and gauges---

There are several experienced boiler tecs here---but it's Christmas and they might be slow in answering.--Mike--

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Infloor Radiant Heat

Here are more pics. When I got back from Church this am the thermometer shown above in the first post was back to the normal setting. Maybe it is suppose to go up and down from time to time? When I adjust the wall dial thermostat the hot water tank does kick in so maybe all is well. I was wondering if the hot water tank should be turned up a little more know with the cold weather, see pic of setting for temp on hot water tank. This was the previous owners setting, a single person maybe its too low for the whole system to function efficiently. Thanks for posting back, I appreciate that.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Infloor Radiant Heat

Just the one pump and only one grey handled valve. Here a pic of the setup, hard to get it all as its a small area. The large thermometer has a connection to the red pump and the 2 small grey boxes that are side by side.

Last edited by 06Honda; 12-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Infloor Radiant Heat

Quote:
There is a large white thermostat attached to the infloor heating components and from my understanding from the previous owner is set to stay at 110 degrees. When taking a shower this am i noticed that the water is not as hot as normal (not cold , so after checking the thermostat it shows 80 degrees. Not sure where to start with trouble shooting,
Ayuh,... Right when that was happenin', was the water heater trying to recover,..??

just a guess,...
My heating system, while very different than yer's, exhibits the cooler shower syndrone, 'n I think I figured out Why...
My Why, might be the same as yer's...

My Why is the water heater is perfectly capable for the demands, until it's at FULL demand...
If both of my heating zones call for heat, 'n I'm in the shower, it cools,..
Not cold, but noticeably cooler...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

Infloor Radiant Heat

Good to know that. Most likely was, the temp on the hot water tank was quite low also from the previous owner this summer. Turned it up a bit and water is alot better now. When i got back from Church today i noticed the larger white thermometer attached to the hose going to the pump was at the correct normal reading of 105F, so it looks like when no demand is needed for a while the water inside the hose just cools off resulting in the temp drop. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by 06Honda; 12-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Infloor Radiant Heat

that mid range setting with the longer triangle is a middle temp and yes the water cools off when the radiaent zone is satified just like when you run the shower the cold water is pushed out by the heated water...keeping in mind the radiant water is in a loop(cycles around with that circulator) and the shower is usable water one time gone out

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote