Induction Fan Issue On Comfortmaker RPJ II - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Induction fan issue on Comfortmaker RPJ II

Hi all,
I've done some searching and am confused and need help

Here's the issue.
Came home to cold house. Fan was running on furnace bringing in cold air. This has happened before, several years ago, when the electronic ignitor went out. So I bought a new one and replaced it this evening. I switched the furnace back on and it seemed to run fine. Went out to dinner (to celebrate? prematurely....)

Came back and the house wasn't quite the right temp. The thermostat read that the temp was correct, but the furnace was back to blowing cold air continuously. So I switched off the main switch and waited a few minutes. I flipped the switch back on and the furnace brought up the induction fan (as in a normal start up sequence), However it never went any further, no heating of ignitor, no gas, nothing, just the fan is on. Turned the switch back off.

Went upstairs and changed thermostat to warmer to call for heat. Turned furnace back on and it cycled correctly and started to heat. Once the thermostat reached temp and stopped calling for heat, the furnace stopped heating...but the induction fan is still on and remains on.

There are no flashing LED lights on to show any faults. I've cleaned the flame sensor today as well (not that I thought that was the problem).

Any ideas? I've read everything from faulty thermostat to replace the whole controller board. I'd like to be informed if I can fix it myself or at least when I call a repair person point in some direction for a fix.

Thanks

Advertisement

scouter2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #2

new development.

I left the system turned off at the switch for several hours, and let the house cool down (from 64 to 61). (64 is what the thermostat is set for).

Then I checked the thermostat and it was calling for heat, so I went down stairs and flipped the switch back to on.

This time, instead of the induction fan starting up right away like before, the furnace acted as normal. There was a paused for several seconds, and then the fan started up and the heating cycle began as normal.

Is it possible, or is there a sensor, that looks to see if something is hot, and then keeps the fan running to cool it down?

I'll let it run and see if it turns off as normal, or if the fan keeps running like the problem was originally.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #3

Nope. No change.

After attaining the desired heat setting, the system went to continously blowing air.