Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Induction blower on furnace making off balance sound

I know I brought this up in another post last night, but never got a reply from Yuri.

On our 9 y/o Lennox Signature Series Furnace Model G61MPV, the Induction blower motor when it goes into full speed after the system goes into Heat mode. It is sounding as if the turbine inside is off balance a little when the motor is running.

Pressing on the motor does quiet it. The tech I had here last fall to check it, and to do a pre-season check, tightened the three nuts and it stopped. I tried tightening them a little more last night, but did not want to over tighten, due to did not want to crack the plastic of the blower assembly. I am thinking that it could be that the turbine is wearing and coming off balance, or there may be something in there, causing it. We did find a plastic glove like you see worn at restaurants, in the burn chamber, but never melted, while it was just sitting in there since the system was installed.

If I took the assembly off and then loosened the three nuts and then tightened them to where they were finger tight and then tighten a little until just finger tight against the blower, if that may stop it.

I did not want to remove it and have the gasket be pulled off and then have a possible CO leak.

I am thinking that during this Summer to go ahead and order the part, but I could not come up with the $$$'s this past fall to do it, since the blower is around $316 for that model at cozyparts.com.

So my consensus is to loosen the nuts to where they are just loose, and then just tighten them a bit, to see if that stops it.

You know me. I rarely ask questions, just mainly chip in and answer them.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

they do wear and turn at 3000 rpm or more so it does not take much to get off balance. probably need a new one.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

The problem is that I have the wife effect going on. You know the "It should not be already breaking." I told her that at 9 years old, it is expected to have moving parts or something else go bad.

I am hoping that the blower goes on sale. The lowest I have found it, is $266 on amazon.com.

Once I get the old one off, I take it that removing the old gasket material is just like removing any other type of gasket material.

I was hoping that I could have gotten the company that installed it, that I had come and do the inspection would have ordered it, due to it is supposed to be covered under the Lennox warranty as I read from the manual & on their site.

Of course I can always call Lennox in the morning and see if I can get them to ship it to me, and hope that it does not cost me anything.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

If it has the 10 yr warranty then the installer should replace it unless he is an arsehole for some reason. I change them under warranty all the time but you have to pay for labor. Lennox will not have anything to do with non dealers. Get another Lennox dealer and ask the service manager if they will do it under warranty.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

The company that installed it are exactly that. They want to upsell on everything, even if it is a repair.

** Update **

Just got off the phone with Lennox. The parts are 5 year covered, Heat Exchanger is Lifetime. There are two other companies that they gave, that I know are better then the one that installed our unit. So I may end up having them do the work either this Summer or before next Winter.

Last edited by gregzoll; 03-18-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

DIY, it is easy to do. Has a foam gasket behind it and a new one comes in the box. All you need is a 1/4" hex driver socket on a flex and you can do it. Sears makes a good flex driver that looks like a speedometer cable and comes with a set of bits and is what I use. Otherwise it will be a 1 hr charge to get them to do it. Can get them to do it on the annual check and save the callout fee.
ben's plumbing (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

I have the tools and can do it. It is just getting the wife to know that this needs to be done. I may just have to do it without telling her, when I order the part.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Yeah the wimen can be a bit funny. Mine won't trust tradesmen and wants me to hover over the appliance guy to make sure he is doing his job right. How do I know what he is doing, if I did I would do the job. Try to tell her what happens when people do that to me and what can of job they will get but it does not seem to sink in.

47_47 (03-19-2014), beenthere (03-20-2014), ben's plumbing (03-18-2014), gregzoll (03-18-2014)