Inducer Part Needed: Please Help! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Inducer Part Needed: Please Help!

I am hoping that a kind soul here might be able to help me out -- My inducer in my Ducane gas heater started making a HUGE noise all of a sudden. I took the inducer assembly off and removed the back casing to notice the plastic wheel inside busted off around 10 of the flaps/spokes (hence the noise!). My HVAC guy sent me to a local repair shop who is telling me I need to buy a TOTALLY NEW INDUCER MOTOR. This is nuts. I have the part in my hand here! I just can't seem to find it sold anywhere. Can anyone help me find this?

The blower assembly is a Fasco 7062-3136, type U62B1. Part Number is 20000101. The part number on the plastic piece is 8710-4358. A quick google search turned up nothing. I may try and contact Fasco next.

Anyone here in the know that can help me out? It's getting cold here in Pennsylvania and I don't have heat without this part!

And I'd sure hate to waste hundreds on a new motor I don't need.

Help?

BDP

Advertisement

BDPNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi BDPNA

I looked in my EPIC catalog, it did not have a number for the blower wheel itself. The only help I can give you would be the assembly part # for the generic if its the same unit as caseywa. The part # for that generic is listed in his thread as a A142 fasco.

Good luck
Rusty

Advertisement

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks Rusty for the fast reply. I just looked up and it's indeed the blower wheel (I wasn't sure what the name of the part was). I measured the wheel to be 4 3/4" in diameter, 1 3/4" wide, and a 1/2" shaft depth. Not sure if it is CW or CCW. Question - Can I get a generic blower wheel or should I match it exact? Is that important?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #4

Hey also Rusty -- Assuming tha A142 directly replaces the entire part, is there a way I can just the the blower wheel from the A142 unit or are they still going to sock me for an entirely new blower?

I'd much rather just order a blower wheel and try first before I pay a couple hundred for a motor. And if I do need to give in and buy the entire motor, is there a cheap place you recommend I can do that?

Thanks for any help! This is my first experience working on a heater.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi BDPNA

You will need to get one exactly the same. The velocity has to be the same for proper combustion. You can damage your heat exchanger by using the wrong parts. Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 11-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #6

So it's looking like I am going to be stuck buying a whole new motor even though I just need a part. That's really terrible that they do that to you.

I did a bit more research and it's looking like another site is showing the A168 as a replacement for part 20000101, not the A142. Is it possible I need the A168 instead?

And any suggestions for wholesalers? Are links allowed?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi BDPNA

If you can give me the model # of your furnace I can tell you exactly the one you need.

Rusty
Old 11-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #8

No problem!

CMPA075U3 from Ducane. Serial is 2220109904,
Old 11-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi BDPNA

They are telling me that the direct replacement is a A147 fasco. Not sure what you can find one for but they priced it to me for $187.50. Hope this helps.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #10

Well who's not to trust what "they" say eh? I'll see what I can find. In the meantime, one other question for a newbie repair guy -- The unit is shut off via the red emergency switch on the wall. So no power to the blower. Does that mean it's safe to mess with the wires going into it underneath? Screwing the new part on I can handle, but I'm not seeing how to disconnect these 3 wires that go into the bottom - Is this do-able for a new guy like me or should I call the HVAC guy back? He charged me $85 to remove the blower and diagnose the problem (in about 20 minutes) so I'd rather not get him back unless I HAVE to.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi BDPNA

If you look just below the inducer assy there should be a little white plug you can take apart. Never work on any electrical appliance without first shutting power off and verifying that it is off. I don't mind giving you the ability to do the work, but I will not kill someone. When you shut the switch off, go to your thermostat and turn the fan switch to on. If the indoor blower does not come on you should be safe. If it does come on you will need to shut unit off at the breaker. If you have a voltmeter I would reccomend using it before touching any wires. Let us know if we can help any further.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #12

Yep, the thermostat is on and it doesn't run with the red switch off. I'll still check the voltage. Thanks! Just wanted to be sure.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #13

Hey Carrierman?

I looked closer at the blower motor assembly. It seems that the wires going into the bottom of it are just hard wired all the way to the inside of the motor cage itself. Am I going to need a professional to wire in a new motor? I followed the black and white wires all the way out and they just disappear into the heating unit. I don't see a plug anywhere. Where is this plug normally located with these motors?

Thanks,

Brad
Old 11-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi BDPNA

You should be able to do this with no problem, but if you are not comfortable with it do not attempt it. Like I said before, I will not get someone killed. All you need to do is follow the wire back from the inducer to the board. Make sure when you pull the wires off the board you put them back on in the right place.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 11-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #15

I certainly understand safety and that you don't want to get me killed. Thanks.

Where ya lost me is the concept of "the board". The wires I see go in through a hollow black tube at the bottom of the inducer motor and then disappear inside the coils of the motor. I don't see where they go from there. Is the board inside there? The other end of them, I can't see where they are going. They disappear into a white tube and seem to go down towards the floor. Is the board you mention somewhere else in my HVAC unit that I need to take more pieces apart to get at?

I have the breaker turned off to the unit, as well as the emergency switch for the unit set to off, so I am safe -- I just need to know where these wires actually meet the board you speak of.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Advertisement