Inducer Motor Troubleshooting/installation - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Inducer motor troubleshooting/installation

Lennox furnace G26Q3/4-100-5 not igniting, Left LED OFF and right slow flash. I have cleaned the in-let I find water standing in it and little lint. Even after that it is not igniting. Inducer motor not turning on, I saw it trying to rotate but could not pick up the speed as it something is stopping it. When I touched it, it was very hot. after trying for sometime it is not turning, I gave a little push but it is not turning.

Please Help, Is the inducer gone or can I replace it myself.

Thanks in Advance.

Advertisement

jaknap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

Do there appear to be two small holes, one at either end of the inducer motor? If there are, you can try a zoom-spout oiler and squirt 1-3 drops of oil into those tubes. You will have to spin the inducer by hand for 5 minutes so that the lubrication can be wicked up into the bronze bushings.
Those little motors turn up high RPMs and require yearly 1-2 drop oiling that most everyone either forgets or doesn't know about. The motor will get warm normally (maybe to warm to hold), but it shouldn't try to melt the flesh off your hand. It could be defective now because it didn't get the proper care it required. If so you can get a new inducer and install it yourself. There is only one plug and possibly a ground wire.

Advertisement

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

You have water in the bottom of the inducer which stops it from turning. Caused by that black drain hose from the exhaust boot plugging with bacteria. It and its barbed fitting need to be removed and flushed with hot water. Put rags in area you are working in to catch the water when you remove it and have a small yogurt container nearby. Let the motor cool off for an hour and retry it. That hose needs cleaning once a year.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

Thank you,

OneHourHeatAndAir person came and told that inducer blower is short, has to replace... $686 to replace + cost of the part.

First of all draft inducer blower is too hot, if I keep my hand for few seconds it will burn my skin.

Cleaned black drain hose and water. There is a picture I have marked what I have cleaned.

Here are the pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pkchopra/G26Q341005

If it looks like I need to replace it (P/N. 67K0401) (Type: U21B) Number 7021-9450

Should I go ahead and buy it and replace or I should call HVAC person to do that.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

1)Was that hose plugged up and not draining properly? Yes or No
2)Did a lot of water come out of that black boot when hose was removed? Yes or No
3)If it is waterlogged it will make a slooshing sound when it tries to start after an hour or 2 of cool down time and cool enough to hold your hand on. Did it make that sound Yes or No
Usually it has enough power to start and spit the water out of the ventor.
4) He may be trying to sell you an inducer and all it needs is time to cool down. I run into waterlogged units like that a dozen times a year. The motor may be seized up and need replacing if you answer No to all those questions and yes you can change it yourself if you have GOOD mechanical skills. Try cozyparts.com

Last edited by yuri; 12-27-2010 at 03:14 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

1)Was that hose plugged up and not draining properly? Yes it was yesterday, there was water and lint
2)Did a lot of water come out of that black boot when hose was removed? Yes
3)If it is waterlogged it will make a slooshing sound when it tries to start after an hour or 2 of cool down time and cool enough to hold your hand on. Did it make that sound No sound, hum sound and motor is nor rotating
Usually it has enough power to start and spit the water out of the ventor.
4) He may be trying to sell you an inducer and all it needs is time to cool down. I run into waterlogged units like that a dozen times a year. The motor may be seized up and need replacing if you answer No to all those questions and yes you can change it yourself if you have GOOD mechanical skills. Try cozyparts.com
Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Sounds like it is seized up, which is not unusual for units that age. Not hard to change. Need a 6-8" long 1/4" nut driver with magnetic tip. Make sure you CAREFULLY read the instructions and put the CORRECT color of orifice ring into it that comes with the fan and kit.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Thanks Yuri,

Nobody at home wanted to stay in cold (In Minnesota) for few more days. It was going to take 5-7 days. I had to call a technician to come and fix that. Nobody is selling parts, but they are ready to come and install.

Paid $435 and saw that person took 10 minutes to remove old one and put the new one. He also cleaned the sensor.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Not a bad price and the guy was nice enough to clean that flame sensor which is a bear of a job to get at. You got your value all together.

Advertisement

Tags
g26q3/4-100-5