Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Inducer motor runs almost all the time

Hello - I have a Ruud Silhouette II gas heater that is about 10 years old. The inducer motor starts and then the heater lights and runs normally but the motor keeps running for a long time after the big fan stops. The only time it does stop is just before the heater starts a new cycle, meaning: The fan stops, and then you hear the burner light, the inducer fan starts, and then the big fan starts and runs normally.

A contractor installed a new ICM292 control board and is now too busy to come back. Looking at other posts there is a possibility the vent is stopped up and I have a friend coming to check (I am at work). Any other ideas?

thanks in advance

rwllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Inducer fan ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS starts before any ignition, never after. The furnace will not light up if the inducer is not first and there is no bypassing that unless you're new board is really, really screwed up.

You sure it's the inducer and not the main blower staying on after the unit has reached desired set point? All furnace blowers are on a time off delay so after the fire cuts off, from reaching set point and the stat telling it to, the blower remains on. Some for 30 seconds, some for 60 seconds, some for 120 seconds and some for 180 seconds. It is adjustable in most cases.

If all you are going by is hearing the motors run than...

Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #3

You are probably right. After two nights in a row of little sleep (heater near our BR) I am getting the sequence mixed up.

I still think it is the inducer motor that keeps running - unless the "big" fan has two speeds. I checked this morning and I don't have any blinking lights.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

The inducer pulls air through the heat exchanger. In other words it guides the flames into the furnace so if it were not on then the flames would engulf the entire furnace until a flame rollout switch cut the gas valve off. Then you'd have no heat period, it wouldn't fire until the flame rollout switch was reset. That inducer proves that it is safe for gas to come on by way of pressure switch by way of inducer pulling air through the exchanger and closing the pressure switch (allowing electrical continuity through it) so again, no flames without the inducer first always and on ALL gas furnaces with control boards, not just your brand and model.

Without that pressure switch closing via the inducer the gas valve simply will not turn on, open.

I think you are mistaken not to mention the tech that installed the new board would not have left had he not turned on the heat first and made sure it was all in working order.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwllc View Post
You are probably right. After two nights in a row of little sleep (heater near our BR) I am getting the sequence mixed up.

I still think it is the inducer motor that keeps running - unless the "big" fan has two speeds. I checked this morning and I don't have any blinking lights.
You're golden then. I sat in an attic for a few two minute increments yesterday waiting for the main blower to cut off each time, after the flames had quit, on time delay so I could test ignition sequence again and again. Seemed like forever each time, I could've read a novel.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #6

[QUOTE=

I think you are mistaken not to mention the tech that installed the new board would not have left had he not turned on the heat first and made sure it was all in working order.[/QUOTE]

The tech came out after we had a spell of the heater frequently not lighting. You would hear the first fan start, then the burner, and then it would just shut off (not consistently, but often). He replaced the control board and left. Then over the weekend I noticed the fan seems to be running all the time. The only time it stops is 5 seconds before it starts a new ignition sequence and it will run until it starts a new one so basically it is running all the time.

Meanwhile the heater is working, temp never varies.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Most likely it was not the board to begin with but the flame sensor. You can google search "residential furnace flame sensor" if you'd like to investigate. Also use Google Image to see it.

Did he not do any diagnosing on his own or was it simply a case of you telling them over the phone the furnace symptoms and them coming out with a control board and replacing it?

A flame sensor is located in the burner compartment. It has one wire leading to it, plugs in via a spade terminal to the sensor, and the sensor itself is a thin, round rod that sits directly in the flame. If and when that gets dirty it does not read the electricity IN the flame and shuts the unit off.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

The most common issue with a furnace firing up and directly shutting off is the flame sensor. Happens all the time.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #10

the stat call in theheat the first thing to run is the induced draft motor nothing else..till the silver disc with the tube and 2 wires to it proofs out air into the chamber....the last thing to start and stop is the main supply fan into the rooms.if youre at the furnace and notice the ID comes on that is the stat calling for heat with all the rest as followes...ignition/pilot ,main burner.. main fan.going off...the ID... the main burner... then the supply fan....the ID only runs when the main burner is runnng
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Unless a high temperature limit switch has tripped, then no flames and both motors (fans) running to remove any excess heat.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #12

Oh, he sat in the attic for an hour or more. I goggled that sensor and it looks like you can clean it as well so I will do that tonight. Thanks!

PS/ I have just about given up on calling HVAC companies. The incident before this, another company was called because our condenser/compressor unit failed - and it stopped an hour after we got a call that our favorite niece had just been killed in a car wreck. I say that to explain why I didn't look at it more closely myself. The rep came out diagnosed it on the spot, $4500 for a new one, installed it later that afternoon as we were preparing to leave the state to go be with her family. I told them to leave the 9 year old unit behind and I would dispose of it and I later put it in my shop at the farm. A year later I pulled it out to move it (to a recycler), a panel fell off, and I saw the burned pig tail. It was easy to see that when this company originally installed it the tech did not place a grommet where the pigtail went into the unit's electrical connection box and it eventually wore thought and burned the wires in half. Ripped off again.

The time before that a contractor installed a new damper unit (through Home Depot) and one of his men ran a sheet metal screw through the plastic drip pan. this resulted in a bathroom ceiling caving in and HomeDepot/Trane and I almost ended up in court before this was fixed. Two years later the problem started again and I just happened to catch it in time before the ceiling became too wet. I called the contractor (above) who pulled the pan and discovered that the HD/Trane contractor put silicone glue in the screw hole and it fell out.

In my experience, in the DFW area, you are likely to be sold something you don't need by any contractor you call and most of the time it will be installed wrong.

Last edited by rwllc; 12-22-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Move to Houston, that's where I'm at.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

By the way, sitting from here I can't say whether or not the old compressor was bad or not. It very well may have been and the pigtails were a good indication. Motor windings go bad and burn out, grounding out, and that very well could have been why those pigtails burnt up.

Was your breaker tripped back then when the compressor failed?

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 12-22-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
By the way, sitting from here I can't say whether or not the old compressor was bad or not. It very well may have been and the pigtails were a good indication. Motor windings go bad and burn out, grounding out, and that very well could have been why those pigtails burnt up.

Was your breaker tripped back then when the compressor failed?
I don't remember, but the housing metal was severely burnt where the wires arced.

Last edited by rwllc; 12-22-2011 at 10:12 AM.