Is This An Inducer Motor? How To Test Circuit? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Is this an Inducer Motor? How to test circuit?

Hello!

First, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this.
Second, I am in need of some help with identifying parts and how to go about safely testing them. I'm not very familiar with HVAC but I wanted to post here to make sure I don't do anything potentially dangerous.

Here's the problem. The unit is a Carrier 48SS.
It has an intermittent issue with the heater.
about once a day the unit will kick on to heat the house, but after the cycle is finished the blower motor for the house will shut off but the unit itself keeps running.
I think this is the Inducer Motor not shutting off, and since it keeps running it keeps the unit from turning on again even though the thermostat drops below the set temp range. The only way to get it working again is to cut power to the unit. I'm not familiar with HVAC enough to know if this is the right name for the part.

I have tried cutting power for 10 minutes, checked the status LED for a blinking code (no code, stays on solid), and inspected for any obviously burnt out components on the board.
I'm not familiar enough with the board layout to know what the component tolerances should be. I have a multimeter and an o-scope at home and am familiar with them should there be some test I could do to check correct functionality.

I have included a picture of the motor in question. This is an outdoor unit so it's a bit dirty. I have vacuumed out the components some (with the breaker off) in hopes that it would remove any possible short.
I hope this isn't too rambling but I would hate to leave out an important bit of information.

Thanks for any and all help!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Is this an Inducer Motor? How to test circuit?-img_20151206_145524.jpg  

Advertisement

cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 5,384

Probably the inducer relay on the board sticking shut.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 05:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Probably the inducer relay on the board sticking shut.
Thanks!
I'll see about testing the relay. I'm working right now but I'll pull the board when I get a chance.
I'll see if I can track down that relay on mouser or digikey and swap it out if the relay is bad.

After taking a closer look at the picture I'm seeing some discoloration on the board just above the two wight resistors and at R1. Could this be indicative of other issues with the unit?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,360

Does it physically keep firing after the blower shuts down, or does the burner shut down but the inducer stays running?
roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
Does it physically keep firing after the blower shuts down, or does the burner shut down but the inducer stays running?
The burner shuts down but the inducer stays running.
The unit will never cycle back on either, even with a call to heat. The only way I can get the inducer motor to stop and get the unit functional again is to interrupt power at the circuit breaker.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal View Post
I have included a picture of the motor in question. This is an outdoor unit so it's a bit dirty.
There are no cold weather issues with an outdoor unit like this one, or is that because this one's in a warm climate?

Last edited by justplumducky; 12-07-2015 at 07:31 AM.
justplumducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplumducky View Post
There are no cold weather issues with an outdoor unit like this one, or is that because this one's in a warm climate?
They're supposed to be ok outside regardless, according to carrier who I trust about as far as I could throw one of these units. At any rate, I'm in San Diego so cold weather issues are unlikely.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to cannibal For This Useful Post:
justplumducky (12-07-2015)