DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Inducer installation / modification ...

13K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  Aziza007 
#1 ·
I received my Fasco A142 inducer and the first thing I did was remove the old inducer and installed this new one to make sure it worked...and it did! A special thanks to #Carrierman for his assistance in making sure I had the correct inducer...Thank you.

The inducer installation setup on my furnace is such that the inducer blows upward and thus the factory installed drain (sealed unless punctured by installer) is in the wrong position...it is not at the lowest point. A notice related to the inducer is that the installer will have to drill a new drain hole if mounted in a different position. The inducer does have drain locations indicated on the housing if this is the case.

The positioning of the drain nipple protruding horizontally out from the inducer housing makes it difficult to install the nipple I have due to the precise placement of the drill hole to insure the drain is positioned to properly drain the condensation along with the fact that the thickness of the housing is thin.

I an considering reinforcing the bottom of the housing with a 3/16 thick piece of ABS drain pipe that I had cut and heated to conform with the radius of the housing...as is seen in the photo. This piece would be adhered to the housing with ABS cement. I would then mount the drain nipple vertically into the bottom of the inducer housing. I would then have enough thickness to support the nipple attachment and would be able to trim any portion of the nipple the protrudes into the interior of the housing to ensure that the condensation drains out the bottom.

Then I can attach the tubing that had attached to the old inducer for piping away the condesation.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I continue...???

Thanks, Casey

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Could you help me in identifying the Fasco model number of the inducer with the drain in the correct position? ...'preciate your time and expertise in the solution of this issue.
You have to go to a carrier dealer with your model and serial number and they can order the correct one........I have to admit that in 22 years i have never seen a "Carrier" inducer that looks like that. It looks more like a junk rheem or ruud.

#10 ·
acefurnacefixer....

Therein is the problem. I have contacted numerous Carrier/Bryant dealers and each one said that there is no oem inducer for our furnace model. ( The furnace is now 14 years old.) One dealer called me back saying he spoke with a distributer on the East Coast saying that there is no oem inducer available, and if there was, the cost would be $900. I asked this local dealer about the Fasco blowers I learned about on the internet and shared with him the websites I found. The dealer suggested using the Fasco inducer and drilling the drain hole needed.

The old inducer on the furnace now was replaced 12 years ago with the Fasco 7162-3136 inducer. Like #Carrierman said before, correct me if I misquote, this replacement of the inducer 12 years ago may not of been done with the correct inducer.

When an HVAC guy was out about three years ago to correct a pressure switch issue (the hose was looped downward and filled with condensation) he said that our furnace was a "white elephant" that occurs numerous problems and will probably have to be replaced in the next couple years. I also believe that #Carrierman said that our furnace was actually a "Bryant"...related to the Carrier line.

I kinda figure that we will be replacing this furnace in the near future and are now starting our research in finding the best furnace that will fit our needs.

Seems my options are limited...

#11 ·
I agree, and i see some significant rust in the pictures you posted. I think the time has come to scrap out the "white elphant". I highly suggest that you look at Lennox......the quality control they have is second to no one. And the warrentys are very good as well on the higher end equiptment. The G61mvp is an awesome two stage furnace with a DC variable speed motor. Good luck in whatever you chose to do.

#13 ·
Hi casey

It looks like to me that they removed the nipple location on the replacement. If you still have the old inducer housing you may be able to use the motor mount portion on the new inducer. I am not quite sure why they removed the extra port on this casting. My guess is it saved them about .00002 cents to not add it. I am sorry they did this to you. And I hope I don't make acefurnacefixer mad at me. But if you replace a Carrier with a Lennox you will be sorry. We also are a Lennox dealer. We have had so many problems with them, the only ones we have left in our building are on the showroom floor. Lennox quality has gone to crap since they went national. I dont even consider them compairable to a Goodman.

Good luck
Rusty

#15 ·
Hi casey

And I hope I don't make acefurnacefixer mad at me. But if you replace a Carrier with a Lennox you will be sorry. We also are a Lennox dealer. We have had so many problems with them, the only ones we have left in our building are on the showroom floor. Lennox quality has gone to crap since they went national. I dont even consider them compairable to a Goodman.

Good luck
Rusty
You've got to be kidding me...............Have you ever been to the manufacturing facility? Obviously not..........go there and see 1st hand the level of quality control they place into EVERY piece of equiptment that leaves the building. They also have a very low tolerence on failed parts from there outsoursers. I am telling you they are second to no one. Go there take the tour then come back here and tell me that .

#14 ·
I hear ya #Carrierman. I was thinking the same thing of swapping the cover from my old inducer with the new one. Aside from the drain location, lets just take that out of the equation for this conversation, what is the difference between the A142 and the A147? I have a feeling there is not. I also thought about the saving costs regarding this.

Casey

#16 ·
Hi caseywa

The biggest difference I would say, has to be the motor torque. What relevence it has to the situation could be minimal. The one you have now is a capacitor run motor, these motors are slightly higher in torque than a shaded pole motor. You could be talking about as little as a couple of inch pounds, but the engineer designed it with this in mind. Like I said I can't tell you the exact difference. You may be able to go to the Fasco sight and compare the engeneering data. I am not sure if that is available though. I hope I didn't confuse you.

Good luck
Rusty

#18 ·
How is it Working?

Caseywa,
I found your old post as I was looking for the exact same blower motor today.
Could you tell me how it has been working for you?
I followed with interest the idea you put forward about installing your own drain plug at the bottom and would like to know how that panned out.
Thanks.

#19 ·
Caseywa,
I found your old post as I was looking for the exact same blower motor today.
Could you tell me how it has been working for you?
I followed with interest the idea you put forward about installing your own drain plug at the bottom and would like to know how that panned out.
Thanks.
The blower has been working great for what looks about four years now. And the drain plug is working perfectly. I found the blower online... I am not sure if I mentioned where I ordered the blower from in my post or not, let me know if you need and I will hunt around from where I got it. I kept the old blower in case I needed parts or got around to repairing it for a back up.

Casey

#23 ·
Hi Caseywa,
I just noticed you replied to me and I neglected to say thanks.
I looked at supplystuf.com and it was an ebay site and I tried emailing ken@supplustuf.com and got a bounce back on the email. Could you shed any light on this dilemma? If not, no problem but I would appreciate any further help you could give.

Thanks
You got the email wrong, it should be: ken@supplystuff.com

...and try searching the web for: supplystuf.com

...it is an ebay site.

#25 · (Edited)
Problem Resolved

Thanks for all your help. Having had the service tech tell me I needed a new motor because the bearings were shot I embarked on this search process.
Well, I tore into the inducer one last time yesterday and this time, by pure chance, discovered that behind the squirrel cage fan were some tiny objects. While bending the squirrel cage to create a 2-3 mm opening I was able to pull out 3 tiny pebbles; maybe the size of BBs. I have no idea how they got there as we are in a finished basement. Anyhow, these pebbles were grinding and jamming the fan to a stop, but now that they are gone, the motor is working like a top.
This is one of those rare stories of money saved during a house maintenance project, and I thought I would pass it along.
Thanks again for the help you gave and the time you spent giving it.

#26 ·
Thanks for all your help. Having had the service tech tell me I needed a new motor because the bearings were shot I embarked on this search process.
Well, I tore into the inducer one last time yesterday and this time, by pure chance, discovered that behind the squirrel cage fan were some tiny objects. While bending the squirrel cage to create a 2-3 mm opening I was able to pull out 3 tiny pebbles; maybe the size of BBs. I have no idea how they got there as we are in a finished basement. Anyhow, these pebbles were grinding and jamming the fan to a stop, but now that they are gone, the motor is working like a top.
This is one of those rare stories of money saved during a house maintenance project, and I thought I would pass it along.
Thanks again for the help you gave and the time you spent giving it.
I am just an everyday homeowner like yourself, great to hear about the happy ending...

:thumbup:

#27 ·
Hi Carrierman, I also have a Fasco inducer blower that wasn't working because three of the fan blades inside the unit broke off and got stuck. We took the inducer out and clean the fan and put in back. The motor seems to be working fine but there's no heat. Some how the burner is not litting up. Any ideas what may be causing it? Thanks for your reply. I checked the gas lines and it were on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.