Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #1

Share |

Inducer assembly cracks and replacement/repair

I was just told that the inducer assembly in RUUD gas furnaces are notorious for developing cracks. Since cracks have started in my unit (not reported during service 2 months ago), I was told the replacement needs to be done now in order to avoid "big problems" and more costly repairs later. The inducer appears to be a blower to insure proper exhaust and integrated with the rest of the system for safety. How can this cause "big problems" beyond the furnace not coming on? How worried should I be?

The replacement looks straight forward, turn off power, disconnect electrical wires and flexible tubing, remove 4 screws. Reverse for new inducer. There appears to be a gasket between the inducer and the furnace wall. Is there anything special to do with the gasket when installing a new inducer?

Thanks for all your advise.

DIYNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

It needs to be replaced ASAP. That bakelite type I have replaced dozens of, they ALL crack. The crack will get large and fumes can spill into your house. The fan won't develop enough suction and the pressure switch will stop the furnace. Not hard to replace those. The new one is cast aluminum and better.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
It needs to be replaced ASAP. That bakelite type I have replaced dozens of, they ALL crack. The crack will get large and fumes can spill into your house. The fan won't develop enough suction and the pressure switch will stop the furnace. Not hard to replace those. The new one is cast aluminum and better.
Thanks so much. The project looks straight forward for me. I ordered the part today. ... Have a great day.
DIYNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

I guess you could use a candle flame to check for air tightness after your new install.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote