Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

Induced draft motor stays on.

All right, here's the deal. I've had intermittent problems with this furnace for the last two weeks. At first it didn't want to come on after being off for a while, like when the thermostat kicked down for the evening. If I can=me down, turned off the power switch for 30 seconds or more, it would start up and run fine again for a day or so.

Finally, that didn't work. It would try to start, but then shut down. HVAC company came out and said there was no power going to the gas valve, the control board must be bad. They replaced that and still no heat.

Different tech comes out and finds that the pilot sensor was loose, tells the guy to take the new control board back off (saving me $400!) and fix the sensor.

Great,now I have heat. Except that the draft fan wants to stay on all the time now. If I turn off the power for that 30 seconds or more, it will stay off for a while.

Any thoughts??

pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #2

ID runs as long as the stat is calling for heat pull the stat off the subbase does it still run shouldn't....? remove the W wire down on the furnace board does it still run...shouldn't? black relays on the board control... 1 the supply fan...and the other controls the ID motor

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

I'm back to thinking it's the control board. For a short while it was short cycling (furnace would light, run for a minute, turn the burners off, repeat), and then this morning it was back to not coming on again after being off when the T-stat cycled down for the night.

I hate my furnace. Equaled only by my hate of it's brother, the heat pump that is the HVAC for the second floor and attic.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Since I'm here, let me ask what the temps the fan limit switch should be set at? When the tech was out, he banged it once. I've noticed that the heat exchanger was still too hot to touch after the main blower fan would shut down, and wonder if that could be why the inducer motor was still running.