Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

increasing fan speed on a tempstar

i have a 1993 tempstar 5000 2.5 ton heat pump, and i want to increase the fan speed on the airhandler, i beleive its a matched pair, but do not know the model #, i think now the blower is either on low or medium, but i want it on high, which wires do i look for for high settings?

jakecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

factory wiring for hi speed is black

Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roughly, a 15% increase in speed will give you twice the noise. For more precision, use
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fan-noise-d_61.html

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-13-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

Smile

it works so good it has a 17 degree difference on cool, and during the hottest part of the day the temp rises up from 68 to 74 when the temp outside is 95 like the last couple of days here in hotlanta, even though I have the window fan on for ventilation, I do not mind the noise on high I keep the blower on all the time, I can not suffocate in a closed house, so generally I use it as a dehumidify so I need more fan speed has 8 vents, and the outside unit feels almost like cool air, rather than heat, though I have shaded it which I would recommend to every one, a/c works so much better

does anyone have a diagram or picture of the control wires for fan speed control, is it located at the point where the main power feeds in to the air handler, it is a 1993 tempstar air handler matching
Old 06-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

If you increase the fan speed it will dehumidify LESS. Less air contact time to the coil. Slower air results in a colder coil and more dehumidifying. I hate to be negative but I have found some of those units to have worn out compressors after 15 yrs. It should be blowing warm or hot air outside so it sounds suspicious to me that the compressor is worn. Like a car with 250,000 miles on it the engine wears and loses capacity. You should get the freon level checked AND the compression ratio of the compressor by a skilled tech. In your climate with a lot of running hours the compressor will wear out sooner. May be time for a new unit.

Last edited by yuri; 06-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Smile

got my own set of gauges and a 30# tank of DuPont R-22, I had to put some Freon in last year, because of after a group in my area was going around and let out Freon, and then calling to fix it at a low price over the phone, but when they get here they charge 3x as much for the call as quoted, and then they say they can not fix it, you need a new one, so me being a quick learner decided ill fix it myself, so after getting the Freon, and a new relay, the system works better than it ever has, I can hear the Freon moving continually through the TXV, and the cooling is 17 degrees ice cooler than the air going into it, compression was excellent, both on high and low sides, and even though I have a fan blowing 95 degree air into the house from the out side, the a/c can keep the temp at 74 at the hottest, and gets down to 68 by midnight, so I think increasing the fan speed will help move more air faster

I heard the best a/c have only a 20 degree difference, and they are 30 seer, mine is a 10 seer, uses very low power 8-10 amps at 240, (metered) so I love this unit, been broken in well, and now its 17 years old
Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

It sounds like it is working well at 17 deg delta T but your comment of it blowing cool air outside does not make sense. Newer higher SEER units I find run a lower delta T with most of them only cooling 16 deg. The TX valve can modulate better and they run lower head pressures etc etc. The old school units with belt drives and weaker blowers used to be 20 deg. 16-20 is normal and we set them with using a superheat or subcool method and not the delta T. I would leave it alone, yours sound perfectly in the mid range and I would not speed it up. If you increase it too much it can lift or blow off the water from the coil and affect the drainage of the coil.

Last edited by yuri; 06-13-2010 at 09:40 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #8

Smile

the blower motor is a cage fan, direct drive no belts, I like this unit better than the newer ones, my air handler sheet metal is much thicker like 10 gauge, the newer ones use 20 gauge or greater, what’s with that? set up in my crawl space, the only problem I ever have that seem to concern me was that is I use the heat pump mode when the temp is below 35 degrees outside, the compressor makes a weird 'death throw' noise, so I just do not use the heat pump, just the heat strip, going to build a indoor greenhouse that will allow me to stop ventilating the house, and the sun will create heat in the greenhouse, that will be part of the indoor ecosystem, I just think that the unit can cool greater than it is, with more air volume
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecool View Post
got my own set of gauges and a 30# tank of DuPont R-22, I had to put some Freon in last year, because of after a group in my area was going around and let out Freon, and then calling to fix it at a low price over the phone, but when they get here they charge 3x as much for the call as quoted, and then they say they can not fix it, you need a new one, so me being a quick learner decided ill fix it myself, so after getting the Freon, and a new relay, the system works better than it ever has, I can hear the Freon moving continually through the TXV, and the cooling is 17 degrees ice cooler than the air going into it, compression was excellent, both on high and low sides, and even though I have a fan blowing 95 degree air into the house from the out side, the a/c can keep the temp at 74 at the hottest, and gets down to 68 by midnight, so I think increasing the fan speed will help move more air faster

I heard the best a/c have only a 20 degree difference, and they are 30 seer, mine is a 10 seer, uses very low power 8-10 amps at 240, (metered) so I love this unit, been broken in well, and now its 17 years old
No such thing as a 30 SEER air to air A/C.

Many air conditioners have a 22 to 24° temp split. And they do that by using a slower fan speed.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
No such thing as a 30 SEER air to air A/C.

Many air conditioners have a 22 to 24° temp split. And they do that by using a slower fan speed.

i heard geothermo is 30+ seer, but i do not know for sure
Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Geo generally uses EER. Only the absolute top of the line might get over 20 SEER. And that would be on 3 ton or smaller units.

Not to be insulting. But I doubt you would pay for the install cost of a Geo.

If you like fresh air. Your also going about it the wrong way with how your using your system and windows.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Geo generally uses EER. Only the absolute top of the line might get over 20 SEER. And that would be on 3 ton or smaller units.

Not to be insulting. But I doubt you would pay for the install cost of a Geo.

If you like fresh air. Your also going about it the wrong way with how your using your system and windows.
explain how im going about the fresh air wrong?, i have 10 acres of 100 foot trees closely packed, and a running creek, and as far as geo thermo no i would not get it, mostly because of initial costs and then cost of fixing a leak with the loop, a friend got a geothermo for his house, 12,000 sq ft and worked well for 8 years, then costs another $10,000 to repair, im not rich been injured in an accident that damaged my back, and no one can get pain killers in a fascist country, so i was just told to live with the pain, so i do, not working, just living on money i made before accident, and its not much, and no intrest on savings, so i have to be more inventive since the dollar buys you nothing, a million buys you a year, a billion buys you 30 years and a trillion buys you 60 years, anyone here trillionares??.....lol

any pictures, or manual of the wire box in the air handler for the 1993 tempstar?

Last edited by jakecool; 06-19-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Fresh air should not be brought in through the windows. It should be brought in through the air handler/furnace.

Then when the A/C is running, it dehumidifies it before it enters the house.

Using a regulating system. The amount of fresh air brought in can be decreased when the A/C isn't running. And then increased when the A/C is running. And keep the homes humidity down.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Fresh air should not be brought in through the windows. It should be brought in through the air handler/furnace.

Then when the A/C is running, it dehumidifies it before it enters the house.

Using a regulating system. The amount of fresh air brought in can be decreased when the A/C isn't running. And then increased when the A/C is running. And keep the homes humidity down.

i thought about that, putting a intake fan on the airhandler before the air hits the coil, any suggestions on the best way, how much air to pump through..etc..
Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

You don't add an intake fan. You add an economizer. And let it pull none or x amount of air when just the fan runs. And X amount when the A/C is running.