Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

Incorrect Wiring-- Cause Code "24" short and/or Blown Fuse?

Greetings to all

I am having problems with my furnace (Carrier Weathermaker 9200) and was hoping someone could help me out. I'm a little handy and have been reading all morning on what the problem to my furnace could be.

Not that it could be a cause of the problem, but I had my blower motor replaced this past winter and when it was repaired the heat came on and stayed on. But towards the early spring, the furnace stopped working again and me wanting to save money on gas, I left it off and just assumed it shut off at the thermostat (I know I shouldn't assumed so).

Fast forward to the late spring, I wanted the a/c on, and it's not coming on. Went to get the codes from the circuit board and its showing code 24. I went to peek at the wiring at both the thermostat and the circuit board and I noticed that there's no wiring going to the Y terminal at the circuit board. Could this be the problem? Oh-- the purple fuse is blown.

While I was down in the basement looking at the wires, well touching them to see what letter it corresponded to, something cycled on, I could hear it in the house, I want to assume it was the condensor or something coming on. By the time I could run outside to see if the a/c unit powered on, it shut off. All the while the furnace itself didn't shut on and the "24" code was still displaying.

Keep in mind that the furnace was working for a couple of weeks when the blower motor was replaced.

I'm also including pictures from both the T-stat and the circuit board.

I guess I'm trying to find out why there's no wire going to the Y terminal on the T-stat and if that could be related to the blown fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Incorrect Wiring-- Cause Code "24" short and/or Blown Fuse?-big-hvac.jpg   Incorrect Wiring-- Cause Code "24" short and/or Blown Fuse?-big-hvac-2.jpg  

Last edited by DionneD; 05-28-2011 at 03:24 PM.
DionneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

cant blow up your pic.... Y needs to be connected at stat for condenser to turn on. but before we do that, or after I guess we need to know why the fuse blew..... Time to locate a short in the low voltage wiring

Old 05-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Okay, I put up the bigger pictures. Thanks for responding.

Why is the blue cord connected to the "COM" at the circuit board? Any reasons? I've never, ever had a problem like this before the repairman replaced the blower motor.

Last edited by DionneD; 05-28-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

yes, that is your problem..... blue should be to Y.....there is another wire attached to com at control board, follow that back, their should be another wire in that loom that is not shown in your picture. both blue and that other wire should be attached to Y
Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
yes, that is your problem..... blue should be to Y.....there is another wire attached to com at control board, follow that back, their should be another wire in that loom that is not shown in your picture. both blue and that other wire should be attached to Y
Hi again. Many, many, many thanks! I connected the blue wire to the Y at the circuit board, there are two other wires in that loom. The furnace and blower is now on but the a/c unit isn't.

One is red and one is green. I suppose one will get the a/c unit on? The green is looped around that loom, so I want to believe that the red wire should also be attached to the Y at the circuit board as well? I wanted to try to attach the red but afraid of messing something up.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Incorrect Wiring-- Cause Code "24" short and/or Blown Fuse?-circuit-board.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #6

Connect Red on R if stay on.....change to Y

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Connect that red to Y, its to the A/C condenser, and the white from the A/C condenser is already connected to Com..
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
Connect Red on R if stay on.....change to Y

Just tried it, connected Red to R, nothing happened. Took a chance and connected Red on Y, still nothing.

ETA: It's now working!! I just happened to turn on the heat to see if it would work, it did. Then switched to cool and after the delay, the A/C unit switched on!! Thanks so much guys!!!!!!

I'm still perplexed to why the repairman switched up the wires, but nonetheless I'm still going to search around for a dependable HVAC person as I'm sure I'll need one in the future. Thanks again!!

Last edited by DionneD; 05-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

code 24 is blown fuse. Did you replace it and put that red wire to Y? I would physically trace the 2 wires/cable from the outdoor unit back to the furnace to make sure you got the right ones. The guy messed up the wiring when he pulled the blower out to replace the motor. You may have humidifier wires there instead of the AC if he really messed up.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
code 24 is blown fuse. Did you replace it and put that red wire to Y? I would physically trace the 2 wires/cable from the outdoor unit back to the furnace to make sure you got the right ones. The guy messed up the wiring when he pulled the blower out to replace the motor. You may have humidifier wires there instead of the AC if he really messed up.
Yes, forgot to mention before I changed the wires, I went out and bought a new 3A fuse and replaced it. I connected the Red wire to the Y in the end, it now works and I'm high on clouds. Thanks for the response!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
AKA HVACTECHFW

congrats..... pay it forward! Sorry I wasn't here to help at the end, it is a holiday weekend!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
congrats..... pay it forward! Sorry I wasn't here to help at the end, it is a holiday weekend!
Not a problem, you did help me locate the problem! Enjoy your weekend.