Improving Air Pressure - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Improving Air Pressure

So I bought a house that has a new AC unit installed and notice that on the side of the house closest to the Air Handler the registers blow cool air with some good flow. But on the other end of the ranch the air pressure is considerably lower. Is there a way to pull more cool air down to the other side of the house with some force? Right now my bed room is right over the Air Handler, and it gets quite cool in my bed room whereas the other side of the house is a few degrees warmer.

Advertisement

DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

Improving Air Pressure

Get a experienced tech with a airflow meter (velometer) to check the flows and balance the ductwork. He will close a few, measure the results in the further rooms and check the freon pressure etc to make sure the coil does not freezeup.

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

Improving Air Pressure

I know they sell fans that are made to blow the air in between the ducts. However, that will require you to run electrical wiring to the fan also.

Another simple solution is just to close off the vents that are blowing to strong. I remember working in a business that had uneven airflow. That place did not have vents that are adjustable. So I just tie a big knot around the duct where the air was blowing to strong and it increase the air flow in the weaker ones.

You stated it is a new A/C. I would probably check with the guy that installed it. Assuming that all the duct is new also, I'm wondering if they used the wrong size duct for warmer side of the ranch.

Last edited by stanlam; 07-20-2010 at 04:02 PM.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #4

Improving Air Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
I know they sell fans that are made to blow the air in between the ducts. However, that will require you to run electrical wiring to the fan also.

Another simple solution is just to close off the vents that are blowing to strong. I remember working in a business that had uneven airflow. That place did not have vents that are adjustable. So I just tie a big knot around the duct where the air was blowing to strong and it increase the air flow in the weaker ones.

You stated it is a new A/C. I would probably check with the guy that installed it. Assuming that all the duct is new also, I'm wondering if they used the wrong size duct for warmer side of the ranch.

Yeah it is original duct work... all galvanized tubing... not the flex stuff. I am probably going to spray foam around where the vent pentrates the floor, there is tons of air seepage around there, then try shutting down some vents. There is some 13 runs coming off the AC unit.. so thinking it just gets choked off before the length of the house. One thing is that the air isnt as cool on the warmer side of the house by the time it reaches that register, so i am in the process of wrapping the duct work in Reflectix, see if that holds the cool a little better.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

Improving Air Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Get a experienced tech with a airflow meter (velometer) to check the flows and balance the ductwork. He will close a few, measure the results in the further rooms and check the freon pressure etc to make sure the coil does not freezeup.
So basically balance the registers by closing some down? My registers now are pretty flimsy so wouldnt rely on them to hold back any flow... is there any company that you would recommend on registers?