Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
1921 Sears&Robuc

Rewards Points: 75

Immediate help needed please! Gas co. coming out in the morning~

Hey folks for some reason i just knew i would be needing some help!
I decided to go ahead and remove the access panel from the electrical, and gas side, and found a sticker i didnt want to see!
ATTENTION THIS VALVE HAS BEEN CONVERTED FOR USE WITH LP GAS!!!!!!!!
Help! What parts do i need to retro it back to natural gas, gas man coming in the morning(between 1000hrs and 1400hrs) That gives me a few hours in the morning or maybe this evening if i can get the parts, please help if you can!
This is a GOODMAN PGB-030100-01 92000BTU

My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Look around the furnace area for a package/envelope with a spring and nozzles and possibly a spring adjustment cap. Typical NG to LP conversions (or vise versa) require changing the injection nozzles on the burner rail and the adjustment spring (sometimes along with the cap) on the gas valve.

In your 'upper' photo, the white plastic cap, in the center of the photo, appears to be your adjustment screw. The spring would be under there. You should also have the gas valve output pressure set with a manometer. A local HVAC co. can do that for you. Remove the 'LP conversion' label after the unit has been converted to NG.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

i've done ng to lp conversions before, it's not too hard. if you are not confident doing it yourself though, i'd call the gas guy in the A.M. and let them know the problem, they'll usually do the conversion for you for an added fee. but be sure to let them know if you do not already have the conversion kit so they can bring one. this way you will know it's safe too. but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 10-05-2008 at 04:47 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Look around the furnace area for a package/envelope with a spring and nozzles and possibly a spring adjustment cap. Typical NG to LP conversions (or vise versa) require changing the injection nozzles on the burner rail and the adjustment spring (sometimes along with the cap) on the gas valve.

In your 'upper' photo, the white plastic cap, in the center of the photo, appears to be your adjustment screw. The spring would be under there. You should also have the gas valve output pressure set with a manometer. A local HVAC co. can do that for you. Remove the 'LP conversion' label after the unit has been converted to NG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
i've done ng to lp conversions before, it's not too hard. if you are not confident doing it yourself though, i'd call the gas guy in the A.M. and let them know the problem, they'll usually do the conversion for you for an added fee. but be sure to let them know if you do not already have the conversion kit so they can bring one. this way you will know it's safe too. but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.

DM
ty ty guys i do appreciate the help, i did infact check and look for the conversion kit and it was/is not included in the furnace, i will phone the guys at the gas company and let you all know what they say! I have called them in the past about doing the conversions on space heaters and the had stated their was to much liabilty fo rthe to do them, so i dont know whats going to happen! If i call them to do it for me then they will then know that the conversion needs to be done(self conviction) but then if they feel it is not safe for the conversion to be done them i am screwed as there are no other gas suppliers in the area??????????
My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
the Musigician

well, if they WON'T do it, and you can find the kit and follow directions, it is a simple fix. just follow directions exactly and you should be fine.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #6

the utility will put in a new 24V gas valve and be done with it $$$$$$,the conversion kits are from nat.gas to lp gas and they aren't going to convert you back.if your confident enought do the valve yourself check out www.grainger.com for over the counter sales to DIYers locally if it is stand alone pilot 24V direct and in/out on the piping 3/4 to 3/4 or 3/4 to 1/2 they have them
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
1921 Sears&Robuc

do i not need to replace to the orifeces as well as the gas valve? Or will i be ok replacing the gas valve and all my problems are fixed?

Last edited by MrShadetree0222; 10-06-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #8

the orifices are different for the 2 gases the utlity tech might have them if you go with him on the changeout.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
1921 Sears&Robuc

Issue Is Dealt With Noi Further Assistance Is Needed At This Time!