Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Share |

I'm going to keep my radiant heat.

Hi all,

The last year or so I've made several posts about my 1968 all-electric home in NE Indiana.

Right now my electric bill is $240 a month (averaged) and I heat and cool 2500 sq feet.

I've been considering following the lead of many neighbors and switching to gas forced air, but I'm not going to do this, and here is why:

1. The payback for the difference in efficiency would be almost 40 years.

2. The reliability of all-electric is as close to 'forever' as you can get

3. The chinese and other manufacturers have now introduced new crystal-radiant technology that is 40% more efficient than old systems, with output efficiency as close to 100% as can be measured.

So, I'm upgrading to programmable thermostats ($21 each from china direct via alibaba), and putting in supplemental crystal panels in rooms that receive the most use.

I'm figuring I can drop my monthly to about $200 - and I don't think electric radiant heat units will ever do anything but get cheaper and cheaper.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this - am I being an over-optimistic fool, or a sage whos wisdom exceeds his years?
imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

I thought all electric resistance heat was as close to 100% efficient as could be measured.
taxmantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Quote:
Right now my electric bill is $240 a month (averaged) and I heat and cool 2500 sq feet.
WOW, that is ridiculous energy consumption!

Current home: >1 y/o 3100 sqft. heat pump with gas forced air backup, elec WH, gas dryer, at least 3 PC's running 24/7... AVG/MO: Elect = $120 Gas = $45

Previous home: 5 y/o 1300 sqft. Heat pump with gas forced air backup, elec WH, gas dryer, at least 3 pc's running 24/7... AVG/MO: Elect = $90 Gas = $20

I think, (I have not seen your home and how it is laid out) you should talk to some contractors and see what is possible for HVAC upgrades and or energy conservation (insulation and envelope sealing)
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

(quote)WOW, that is ridiculous energy consumption!

Current home: >1 y/o 3100 sqft. heat pump with gas forced air backup, elec WH, gas dryer, at least 3 PC's running 24/7... AVG/MO: Elect = $120 Gas = $45(/quote)

I agree, I'm paying a chunk. But you are paying almost $175. The cost for conversion to GFA (after 4 quotes) will be between $9900 and $14,000.

Divide that $75 a month savings into it and you have more years than I will be alive.

Meanwhile, the Chinese, the Europeans and others are constantly looking for better ways to generate heat with wind, solar and just plain electricity from the wall.

I have nothing to lose by staying radiant, and I believe that plenty of efficiency gains will follow my updating the existing system. Not to mention the fact that maintenance on a well-designed radiant and baseboard system is virtually $0 per year - my system is over 40 years old and functions flawlessly. I've had one wire break due to settling - and how many times in that period have my neighbors had to replace their furnaces? At least twice.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

I understand where you are coming from.... there are many homes here in FW that are still all electric utilizing ceiling heat. How do you currently cool your home? Have you looked into ductless split systems and staying all electric? That could possibly be a better payback.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
I thought all electric resistance heat was as close to 100% efficient as could be measured.
That is correct.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

The losses in my installation are due to the entire radiant grid being sandwiched between two layers of drywall on the ceilings. During that era they worried the most about thermal mass and preventing overheats - so they wrapped the ceiling wires up like mummies.

The new 'radiant crystal' technology addresses that by being a simple standalone unit, they are as easy to hang as a picture frame. They only reach around 175 degrees, and all the electricity is radiated out at very specific frequencies to warm the people and objects in the room, but not the air.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #8

Investigate using mini-split heat pumps.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by imautoparts View Post
The losses in my installation are due to the entire radiant grid being sandwiched between two layers of drywall on the ceilings. During that era they worried the most about thermal mass and preventing overheats - so they wrapped the ceiling wires up like mummies.

The new 'radiant crystal' technology addresses that by being a simple standalone unit, they are as easy to hang as a picture frame. They only reach around 175 degrees, and all the electricity is radiated out at very specific frequencies to warm the people and objects in the room, but not the air.
Radiant ceiling heat is a very comfortable heat. Also fairly inefficient, due to the high radiant mass required to heat the room/people/objects.

Is that 240 a month to heat the entire house to comfort level, or just selective rooms.

You may want to find out if your local POCO is contemplating going to time of use rates.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

That radiant crystal technology is nothing more than infrared heating... You will not like it compared to your current ceiling heat.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Is that 240 a month to heat the entire house to comfort level, or just selective rooms.

The time of use thing is worth checking on.

As far as the 240 a month, that is with full-time AC in the summer when hot and heat in the winter, plus an air compressor, a freezer, a refrigerator, a double oven, an electric grill on the porch and two gigantic electric water heaters (one of which is original to the house).

In 1968 the house was a 'reddy kilowatt' show home, it is quite well insulated but I'[m sure the windows could use updating - although it is not extremely drafty. The original storms (vinyl/aluminum) are still on the home and they are in good shape.

I'm going to take the $12,000 budget for putting in gas heat and updating my double oven, my electric range and perhaps both water heaters with modern units.

I'm also thinking of installing new windows on the 'front' (the North side) of the house - I imagine that will have a pretty solid impact on my heat bills.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

So your on a budget of 240 a month. $2880.00 a year?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
So your on a budget of 240 a month. $2880.00 a year?

That's right. My estimated savings with new windows and gas heat come in at $65 - $75 per month.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

The gas heat alone would probably be 75 a month.
hvactech126 (10-17-2013)