I'm Finding Chunks Of (cellulose) Attic Insulation In The A/C Registers.... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

I'm finding chunks of (cellulose) attic insulation in the A/C registers....

...which leads me to thinking there must be a leak. A BIG leak as these are close to pinky sized pieces of cellulose that are getting stuck on the register before the duct from the forced air unit reaches the inside of the living room.

Now, I've gone up into the attic and looked for leaks but cannot find any. The connections to the main AC are sealed with mastic and the ducts seem okay when I check them as I crawl out to the register.

When I wipe away the cellulose from where the duct connects to the ceiling register, I don't see any major cracks or openings in the seal (we also are having a dust and respiratory issue with the cellulose insulation is why I was looking at this).

So anyways, If there's no leak in the duct (that I can see) from the AC unit to the register...and there's insulation getting in there somehow...where else could it be?? How is this insulation getting into the unit?

Any advice for my next trip up into the attic?
I know it may be hard to give advice with only this rough sketch to go on...feel free to ask me questions, we need all the help we can get. We're a young couple with kids trying to Do It Ourselves and save a dime (or two) ...before calling the pros to get the ducts cleaned and all that.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

AnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Seal the register boxes to the attic floor. The air blowing through them causes a slight negative draft which can pull in dust and insulation.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
AnotherGuy (04-09-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Seal the register boxes to the attic floor. The air blowing through them causes a slight negative draft which can pull in dust and insulation.
Will check that, thanks.
AnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c ducts , cellulose , cellulose insulation , duct , leaky duct