Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


I have and American Standard Model #AUD1B080A9481AA. Problem #1 unit calls for heat, inducer motor comes on, ignitor glows brightly for 4 to 5 seconds, inducer motor goes off and blower comes on. Diagnostic code said to check flame igniter. I replaced flame igniter. After I replaced igniter another issue came up which I will call Problem #2. Furnace only workes about 80% of the time. 20% of the time there is a call for heat, inducer motor comes on, igniter glows dimly, gas hisses, but burners do not light and gas and igniter both go off. It will do this a few time, sometimes burners come on and sometimes not. Furnace then goes back to Problem #1 for about half a day and then back again to Problem #2 (works well 80% of the time). Unit currently is going back and forth from Problem #1 and Problem #2. During problem #1 I get a 120 volt reading where ignitor is wired, but during problem #2 I only get a 70 volt reading.
Inducer motor sensor is not clogged, I cleaned flame sensor, and safety switches all seem to be working OK. Ignitor, control board, and pressure switch have all been replaced. Help.

pumpkin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,911
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Gas valve?

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dayton, ohio
Posts: 541
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Burners maybe dirty or Ignitor is not inline with burner
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


I think burners wont come on because ignitor is not hot enough, but I don't know why it sometimes gets hot and sometimes not. But when it gets hot unit locks out.
pumpkin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,590
Rewards Points: 2,318
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


check the furnace grounding. should have O ohms between the ground from the furnace and the board mounting plate to a copper water line, use a cheater wire if necessary. check from C on the board to the neutral wire to the furnace with a volt meter with the power on and door switch pressed in with duct tape, should be 0 or less than .5 volts. if poorly grounded the board will malfunction.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin321 View Post
I have and American Standard Model #AUD1B080A9481AA. Problem #1 unit calls for heat, inducer motor comes on, ignitor glows brightly for 4 to 5 seconds, inducer motor goes off and blower comes on. Diagnostic code said to check flame igniter. I replaced flame igniter. After I replaced igniter another issue came up which I will call Problem #2. Furnace only workes about 80% of the time. 20% of the time there is a call for heat, inducer motor comes on, igniter glows dimly, gas hisses, but burners do not light and gas and igniter both go off. It will do this a few time, sometimes burners come on and sometimes not. Furnace then goes back to Problem #1 for about half a day and then back again to Problem #2 (works well 80% of the time). Unit currently is going back and forth from Problem #1 and Problem #2. During problem #1 I get a 120 volt reading where ignitor is wired, but during problem #2 I only get a 70 volt reading.
Inducer motor sensor is not clogged, I cleaned flame sensor, and safety switches all seem to be working OK. Ignitor, control board, and pressure switch have all been replaced. Help.
sounds like a bad board, or a bad gas valve......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Hes only getting 70 volts. Could be a bad board or a bad supply voltage connection.

seen a lot of that when the neutral wire connection is loose.

How do yoou guys figure a bad gas valve with 70 volts at igniter but no voltage reading posted for the valve ?.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb
 
plummen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Posts: 2,911
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


I didnt see the 70 volts part,yeah check neutrals first
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


As you suggested I checked grounding, everything ok except ohms are very irratic (242 to 1) when contacting copper water line only. Also, end of wire (Green) that is wrapped around copper line is not connected to anything on furnace side (cannot see other side - in the attic). This cord (wrapped around copper tube) has 3 wires (red, green, and white). White goes to thermostat, Red goes to "Y", and Green is not attached to anything. Error code is 9 which says check ignitor and line "N" to 24VAC "Common" voltage [possible grounding problem].
pumpkin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dayton, ohio
Posts: 541
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


"Green is not attached to anything".Green should be to ground. Green is color coded for ground. Wire it some were to metal. Most the time on one of the screws hold burner cross bar
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Hes only getting 70 volts. Could be a bad board or a bad supply voltage connection.

seen a lot of that when the neutral wire connection is loose.

How do yoou guys figure a bad gas valve with 70 volts at igniter but no voltage reading posted for the valve ?.
thats all it takes for a trane or american standard ignitor to energize...........the boards vary the voltage to the ignitor, sending only whats needed to get the job done.sonds like the valve may be causing a voltage drop from a internal short.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Been there and done this too many times, you are right that the board uses a logarithm to regulate how much power goes to the ignitor. If the ignitor is not lighing up and the gas is coming on it is for sure a board issue. The gas valve should not energize with no source of ignition. If the ignitor is glowing but not igniting the gas then I would say the gas is not hitting the ignitor either something in the burner blocked or incorrect positioning of the ignitor. Could be a bad ignitor but I doubt it.
Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
thats all it takes for a trane or american standard ignitor to energize...........the boards vary the voltage to the ignitor, sending only whats needed to get the job done.sonds like the valve may be causing a voltage drop from a internal short.
HHMM.. I don't get much work on AS or Trane. The dealers pretty much have that sown up around here.

My Nordyne brands varies the voltage too, but they don't go to 70 volts as a normal part of the voltage variance.

But thanks for that input it's appreciated.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Ignitor glows brightly and shuts down or glows dim and sometimes works


American Standard Nitride ignitors are only rated for 80volts and less on some models. Put one of these in a regular 120v and they only work for about 2 cycles. LOL

Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.